Friday, January 29, 2021

Monthly Mini

I am continuing with my monthly mini making tradition with the mini quilt makers over at The Constant Quilter again this year. But in 2021, I am adding a challenge inspired by The Joyful Quilter's Table Scraps challenge to create something for a table. My plan is to make a scrappy placemat from small scraps using the RSC colour of the month. Very fun to combine 3 challenges into one project!

January is pink month and I got out some HST scraps leftover from a wallhanging that I made in 2002 - yes 19 years ago! These little babies were perfectly aged and ready to be part of a finished project. The pinwheels measure 1.5" and I had enough pieces to make 7 of them.

I put 8 more of the larger HST blocks on the sides to make the project wider and then added a 2" border all around. Of course I had a fun time choosing just the right pink thread for the quilting.

And then I had the most fun quilting little hearts all around the pinwheels. I did a little bit of preplanning in my mind, but no marking for the free motion path of stitches. It's truly the most fun you can have during lockdown :)

Tada... a lovely mostly pink placemat that will be donated to the Meals on Wheels program in my community. I imagine a lovely older woman eating her lunch with this little spark of beauty to cheer her up on long dark winter days in lockdown, and I hope it makes her smile :)


At the end of the month I'll be linking up with The Constant Quilter and The Table Scraps Challenge.

22 comments:

Rebecca said...

Well damn!
That just about makes you a "Queen" of multi tasking!!

Great fun idea!

Janet O. said...

Did you come up with the idea to tie in three challenges because you have so much going on, or do you have so much going on because you are so good at tying together challenges? I'll have to ponder that awhile. Either way, this is adorable. It will surely be a day brightener to some housebound senior!

Quilting Babcia said...

This is just the sweetest mini full of Valentines and love. Your quilting design is wonderful.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Now that is efficiency at its best! One beautiful mini that takes care of 3 stones! I love your quilt and your ingenuity! Thanks for hanging on for another great mini!

Robin said...

Someone is going to thrilled to get this. It's delightful.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that, Kathy! Pretty colors in the pinwheels and the other scraps you put with it, and your heart quilting is just perfect. Sweet finish!

Julierose said...

I love how you were able to whip this one up and follow 3 challenges at one whack;)))
It is so pretty--I hadn't seen the table scape one--will check it out...
stay safe and warm hugs, Julierose

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a cute way to combine your challenges and make some’s day in the process!

Ivani said...

Your placemate will brighten someone's life, it is a beauty, Kathy!
Love those perfect mini pinwheels and the heart quilting

Kyle said...

What a fun and beautiful way to tie together all of these quilt challenges. Your machine quilting is the prefect finishing touch.

Anonymous said...

Kathy, the placemat is lovely! The little pinwheels are so cute. And the quilting is perfect.

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Kathy S. said...

I adore the heart quilting. I'm so happy to see so many quilters participating in the Table Scraps challenge. See ya tomorrow at the linky party.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very cute! The quilting is great, too.

Flickenstichlerin said...

Just lovely, what a pretty placemat and how nice of you to donate it, so someone else will be delighted by it.

scraphappy said...

So amazing that you are able to combine all those challenges into one lovely project. I am sure that a homebound senior will enjoy her lunch so much more on this beautiful placemat.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a perfectly PINK way to combine challenges, Kathy!!

Deb A said...

Ok, 3 challenges in one project is just..... amazing! What a great placemat and I love that they had aged perfectly for this project.

Susie H said...

That placemat is beautiful and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the way you incorporated the hearts in the quilting. I've not seen anything like that before and I'm always on the lookout for new FMQ ideas!

Kate said...

Congrats on a very pretty finish for a very good cause.

pandchintz said...

What a lovely idea and what a very sweet quilt.

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

This is so delightful - love the pink pinwheels and it's a great idea to make something useful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

This is so cute! it will definitely be a bright spot in someones day!