Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Mid month UFO report

Since the weather outside has been fierce and wintery, with ice storms and high winds, I have been "sewing up a storm" inside too. I just finished up a huge cone of neutral Aurifil thread. That's a lot of thread put into fabric in my sewing projects! 



When another empty spool is added to my collection jar, it feels like there should be a celebration of accomplishment, especially when it's a cone (5,900 metres) vs. a spool (1,300 metres)!



16 of the last 18 Ringo blocks


Although lots of sewing is going on, the April UFO goal is not anywhere near completion. All the blocks have been sewn for my version of On Ringo Lake. I have a total of 48 blocks sewn, for a layout of 6 blocks across and 8 blocks down. 30 of these blocks are sewn together, so now I will be attaching the last 18 blocks. And then there is the border to work on. That's okay, I still have a week and a half to the end of the month.


From Queen of Your Own Life
And today I'm off on a road trip to Orillia to speak to two groups of wonderful women.... the Orillia Quilters Guild in the afternoon and in the evening... the Evening Threads Quilt Guild! It will be an interesting and perhaps challenging trip depending on the weather and whether there are road closures (notice the clever use of homonyms in that sentence!) 

10 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your Ringo Lake looks so nice. I like the way you've changed the design. Safe travels, hope the roads are clear.

Barb said...

Wow that is a lot of spools!
Have a great road trip and good luck with the roads.
I wish I could come up and visit your Canadian Girls

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Love your spool collection!

And I'm impressed by your Ringo Lake. Mine is still 'piles of units'. I will get back to it after I get the top for "It was the 80s" completed, I think.

Louise said...

I agree that we should have some sort of celebration to honor an empty spool! I'm impressed that you've finished one of the giant Aurifil ones :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I use my empty spools to store binding on. Great with the flat base. Stay safe while driving.

Deanna W said...

Empty spools are a good thing ..means lots of sewing is getting done well unless you are ripping it all out again!
Safe travels to Orillia...been a bad week to be a weak hearted person!!(two can play your game)

Mary said...

We yell BOBBIN at Retreat, The emty Spools go around our nexk.

Anonymous said...

We loved your quilts in Orillia. I was at your evening trunk show and the whole idea of mini quilts really rang a bell with me. I picked up a mini storm at sea, by John Flynn in Houston, a number of years ago and only got it made up last year. I loved doing it! I am definitely going to do more of my own design minis in the future thanks to your inspiration! samandrews@rogers.com

Janet O. said...

Since I started buying cones of Aurifil, I have yet to finish one off. That is a LOT of thread!
From the comment above, sounds like things went well last night. Was there ever any question? :)

Kate said...

That is a lot of thread! Congrats on all the progress finishing off that spool represents. I love your color palette for On Ringo Lake, it's going to be a beautiful finish.