Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Donation Quilts

Every year my local quilt guild donates many quilts to worthy causes in our community. Just as with all acts of kindness, we never really know how sending symbols of love into the universe will evolve and unfold. 



My daughter emailed me a copy of this facebook note regarding the gift of a quilt that was received by a brave soul, who was willing to publicly thank the anonymous quilt maker from our community.
This is her post with the identifiers removed.
This is precisely the reason why we make these quilts. It's why we invest our own money and time to create symbols of comfort and safety... because it helps to heal the wounds of others.


This reminder motivated me to get working on some quilt blocks for the guild collection. We have a very hard working committee that takes fabric donations and organizes them into block kits for guild members to sew. I picked up 4 packages this month and each baggie has a pattern and all the fabric needed to sew the block. 

This block pattern had a lot of HST blocks but it went together well and will make a great quilt.

If you are looking for a place where you can a donate quilt or quilt blocks, hop over to Sarah's Hands2Help Charity Quilt Challenge for ideas and inspiration.

12 comments:

Needled Mom said...

It's notes like this that keep us all stitching for the different causes in our communities.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such a nice note - it is always nice to hear that quilts we make for donation are actually appreciated. I'm doing two for Sarah's drive this year

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a touching note from a survivor. Thank you for sharing that.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

In my little quilt guild, we are also using baggy kits to make quilt blocks for 2 local homes for boys and girls. Now to prepare my kits (my turn is in June) for the ladies to stitch up.

Nann said...

There's a saying: "Do what you can. To someone else it may mean the world."

Lyndsey said...

What a lovely note to receive. I don't belong to a guild but try to donate a quilt or blocks for a quilt each year.

Quilting Babcia said...

This almost brought tears to my eyes, knowing that sometimes, somewhere, our quilts really do bring the comfort we hoped they would. And coincidentally, in my blog feed this morning was this post: http://stitchintherapy.blogspot.com/2018/04/insights.html

All things work together for good to them who love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.

Debbie said...

I had several people send me your post to read. Perfect post. Thanks. I am now following.

Ivani said...

♥♥♥♥♥

audrey said...

Thanks for sharing the letter. It really helps give us motivation to keep giving.:)

moosecraft said...

You know...I just learned that my (almost) LQS has the same kind of program (pick up kits to make for donation)! I'm looking forward to being a part of it! :-)

Kate said...

It always amazes me the power a gift of a quilt has to make someone feel better. Thank you for sharing.