It didn't happen.
And I'm blaming Barb! You see she organized a churn dash block swap and the blocks I received back were so awesome that I only wanted to play with them. I made an equal number of 9 patch blocks from reproduction fabrics and alternated them with the churn dashes, and just couldn't put them down until the whole top was together. Design inspiration credit must be given to Mary Manson's Colourways quilt for this idea of alternating 9 patch and churn dashes.
I took Nann's advice (in her comment on this post) to randomly piece four blocks together and then assemble the four patches. Fabulous idea!
Because I used this random method of sewing the blocks together, I didn't know how it would look until I put the top on the design wall. I think it turned out fabulous and the seam ripper wasn't even used once!
And here it is...10 blocks by 13 blocks for a total of 130 blocks, and each one is a made from a different fabric... no repeats!
You can see how much bigger than my design wall it is! At the top of the photo on the left side you can see the door way leading to the hall. The design wall starts behind the 6th block from the left!
I kept looking at the Ringo blocks sitting there and wishing I would get going on that, but these churn dashes were simply more insistent.
I am wondering about a border and will give that more thought this week.
In summary, I didn't meet my UFO goal, but I made a terrific quilt top! These swap blocks didn't get a chance to turn into a UFO!
To see more design walls, hop over to Small Quilts.