Saturday, June 04, 2016

Scrappy Saturday

A big accomplishment this week was finishing the May Mad City Mama block in green scraps. This is a pattern in Bonnie Hunter's book Adventures with Leader & Enders.
This block uses 116 squares and 20 strips plus 12 light triangle scraps. That is a lot of little bits of fabric used up in this block. Do you see those cute little white animals that I fussy cut ... a turtle, a monkey, an alligator, and a lion? It's almost like an "eye spy" block!
And here are the first four blocks together on the design wall. WOW!
I love them!
They are each a bit different and I have debated making them all the same. For the moment I have decided that I like their individual personalities and will leave them as is. I am tempted to open up the orange one and put in the star triangle points, but we shall see how the project evolves.
The colour for June is "blues tending towards aqua". I'm not sure if I have enough of those colours to make one of these blocks or not.
Hop over to the Rainbow Challenge link up and see what other quilters are creating today.

18 comments:

Kate said...

Great blocks for using up scraps. They turned out beautifully!

Chantal said...

Great scrapbusters! I would leave the orange like that. I would make another one without a star and they will fit in. You could also make a star in the 25patches corner, just to have even more different blocks. anyway, enjoy the possibilities. ;^)

beaquilter said...

what a fun block I have that panel too and you got me thinking now!!

Peggyinno said...

Great blocks! I think it would be fun to just have one "oddball" block!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's a LOT of scrappy in ONE block!! AWESOME!!!

Sarah said...

This is a fun scrappy project and great for the Rainbow scrap challenge. I love the sentiments in the centre!

Janet O. said...

These are such fun blocks. That shade of blue doesn't appear to live at my house, or I would send you some.
I think you could leave the orange without a star as your "maverick block", but if it starts to eat at you, open it up! You need to love it in the end. : )

sunny said...

Your blocks look great! How big are they?

Sandra Cox said...

Love the little critters hidden in the blocks:)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Very colorful. I have that book. I'll have to check that block out.

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness, they are beautiful!

Jo said...

What size block does it finish at. By the time you have done all the colours this year you could have a great size quilt.

Dasha said...

Love those blocks!! They are all absolutely gorgeous, but I can see why you want to change the orange one. Great work.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Beautiful 💖

Needled Mom said...

Those are fabulous. I like the center stars.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What an excellent way to break up the making of that particular quilt. One block a month is SO much more manageable than going at it full bore.

PaulaB quilts said...

What you are doing is so nice, adding your little touches like the critters, to make it special. A good accomplishment for May. Have fun in June.

Kat Scribner said...

Wow. What an amazing collection! Labor intensive is right, but so much fun. What a great project this is.