Wednesday, June 29, 2016

A Finished Quilt!


My Swoon quilt is done! I have put a lot of time and energy into this quilt over the last 4 years. And finally it is not a UFO anymore - it is a useable quilt!

The pattern is by Camille Roskelley (you can get it here). The blocks are 24" and are really fun to sew, so if you have always wanted to make one, I really encourage you to go for it! 
I enjoyed machine quilting each block on my domestic sewing machine and connected them using the quilt-as-you-go method. I machine stitched the blocks together and hand stitched the final seams on the back between each block.
A useless piece of trivia - I hand stitched 294" on the back seam joins and 294" on the binding, for a total of 588" of hand stitching on this quilt. Wow!
I'm very happy with how the striped binding turned out, although you probably can't see it well in this picture.
The quilt backing looks a little boring, but it does have one small Swoon block on the top right corner. I haven't added a label yet. I hope I do one :)
There are so many decisions that go into making a quilt - deciding on the colours, shopping for the fabrics (this quilt has more than 27 different fabrics), placing the fabrics into the "right" places in the block patterns, organizing the blocks into a pleasing layout, designing the quilting pattern, selecting the type of batting, picking thread colours ... the choices seem endless at times. 
And somehow it all works out in the end... as if by magic!

To see more finished UFO's hop over to the One Monthly Goal link up

33 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations what an amazing finish! It's a really nice pattern and your fabric choices look great. It's always an exciting journey watching a quilt grow but finishing is full of satisfaction!

KaHolly said...

Yay! It's gorgeous! I HAVE always wanted to make this block. How'd you know? It's on the list, but not near the top....yet! Well done, Kathy! XO

Béa said...

Absolutely wonderful ! XXX

Frances Meredith said...

Well done on your finish!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your quilt turned out wonderful! It is a happy quilt.

Gretchen Weaver said...

Congratulations! Take time to enjoy the finish before you dive into the next project. Blessings, Gretchen

SandraC said...

Congratulations on your finish! I expanded the pic so I could see the binding and it IS perfect! I love stripes as binding or as narrow inner borders

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

What a beautiful finish! Congratulations on a stunning quilt. I've yet to try to QAYG method but I have a couple quilts in the piecing stage that I plan to test it out with.

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a great quilt! My swoon quilt is on the bed in our guest room...it is one of my favourites! I love the colours you have used and your quilting looks wonderful! Can't wait to see your next monthly goal....

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Well the time you put in It was worth it, Kathy!!! It is quite lovely....I love my Swoon too!!,

Stitchin At Home said...

Congrats! You did it. It looks lovely!

Katie Z. said...

Way to go!

Thelma said...

Never met a Swoon quilt I didn't love! Wonderful job.

Heide said...

Well worth the wait....You Swoon looks beautiful!

Lesley Gilbert said...

Your finished quilt is beautiful. I zoomed in on the photo for 2 reasons - 1st to see your binding, 2nd to see how you joined them together. I followed your link to see the method used by the other sewer, which I've seen before, but on your photo it looked like each block was sewn together by the raw edges. In the zoomed photo I could see how you had colour matching strips for your joins - what a good idea :)

Deanna W said...

A finished quilt...hmm a good excuse to start something new!!

piecefulwendy said...

What a pretty quilt! The colors are lovely!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

great finish you have been working on this one for awhile so I bet it feels good to be done. Now you can cuddly with it

Janet O. said...

It is beautiful, but you know my favorite part? Yup, that tiny Swoon block on the back. *LOL*

Aunt 'Reen said...

CONGRATULATIONS... Your Swoon quilt is just Fabulous!
I love the little block on the back label too.

Julie said...

Congrats on your finish! It's awesome and the colors are fun and the trivia was interesting!

Heidi said...

Yes, I love the magic of the entire process coming together as a finished quilt! Your Swoon is stunning, congratulations!

Monica said...

Congratulations, Kathy, what a long job this has been! I'm not a fan of QAYG for just this reason, but, you certainly have a wonderful result. Great block, great colours, I hope you will get many years of enjoyment from it!

And have a great summer, too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats!

Ellen said...

It's a beautiful finish! What a great reward for sticking to it and getting it finished.

Julierose said...

This is a lovely quilt finish! I really like the yellow/gray combo--congratulations...hugs, Julierose

Barb said...

Just love your quilt!

Lisa J. said...

I'm so excited that you finished this Kathy, Congratulations!

Needled Mom said...

OMGosh.....it is just gorgeous!

Teresa in Music City said...

Hooray!!! So happy for you!!! It's beautiful and nothing is more beautiful than DONE :*)

Kate said...

It turned out beautifully! Congrats on the finish.

Rebecca Grace said...

Congratulations -- your Swoon is gorgeous! I've been ogling that pattern on the Internet for awhile and really hope to make one someday. If only there were more quilting hours in a day (and less laundry hours!)

Razzle Dazzle Quilter said...

Fabulous result. Well done you!