Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Quilting Addiction?

Psychology Today had an article called "Can quilting be an addiction?" You can read it here. That is so hilarious to me!
From Sunfrog
About 20 years ago (at the encouragement of my wonderful local quilt guild) I started visiting other quilt guilds giving a lecture called "Are you a quiltaholic?" I knew I had a "problem", and according to the definition of addiction from CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health) I definitely fit the criteria. I ended my lectures with a self assessment process to help other quilters determine their level of addiction. I enjoyed making fun of all the crazy things that quilters do because we can't help ourselves. 
I also included some serious information about the devastating illness of a real addiction. Because truthfully, although many of us do meet the assessment criteria, I've never met anyone who has lost their job, family and/ or home because they quilt, so the effects don't even come close to an alcohol, drug, sex, or gambling addiction.
But now the topic of quilting addiction is a legit topic in Psychology Today. Who would ever have thought?!?!
If the definition includes spending all your vacation time with your addiction, I guess I'm totally all in, because I took this week off to attend Quilt Canada so I can quilt, and talk to quilters, and look at quilts, and buy stuff for making more quilts! HA!


Here is a gratuitous photo for my friend Louise, who does have a very serious addiction to Nutella!
You need help my friend!

10 comments:

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

*LOVE* that shirt - I will have to pick one up for myself.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I consider mine a minor addiction - I do not go to workshops or take quilting vacations and I only buy fabric on sale - does that count? LOL

Linda said...

I'm there and I'm getting the tee shirt to prove it!

SandraC said...

Have an awesome time this week!....and thanks, again!

beaquilter said...

Is family hurting? well if you count that I forgot to even THINK about what's for dinner some nights or FORGOT to clean the house?? then......hmmm
I do love nutella too!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have a quilting, fabric and vintage machine addiction. It's all well documented. I even have a t-shirt that says there isn't a 12 step program for my sewing machine addiction. I wore it home from the TOGA last weekend (where I was good, and only brought home one extra machine).

Teresa Rawson said...

That is hilarious...both that we are "article-worthy" and the Nutella picture!

Mary said...

Have to lol. It's a Passion, not an addiction. The shirt is awesome. I'm sure not thinking about quitting my Quilting. Taking it to the Beach later this month.

Kate said...

An interesting paper. Not sure I agree with all of it, but interesting.

Stephie said...

A great read, thanks Kathy! Being single I never have to hide my fabric or justify my passion to anyone. I imagine that hiding it away from 'the other half' is more about fear of being chastised for how much money was spent - I mean it's not like hiding bottles of alcohol is it?!?!?