Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Treadling on Tuesday - Bobbin Refill

Well, it was not exactly on Tuesday. I was actually treadling on Sunday afternoon while Bonnie was on QuiltCam.
It looks like a big mess of scraps here, but it was organized chaos. I decided to do some crumb piecing while I learn how to treadle. The hardest part for me right now is starting each seam, and getting the wheel to turn in the right direction. If it goes backwards, the thread snaps and it scares the living daylights out of me!
When the wheel goes in the right direction, treadling is SO fun! I just love it! 
I was whipping right along and making great progress with the scraps until guess what? I ran out of bobbin thread and didn't realize it! Ended up with a  pile of unsewn scraps on the floor!
Oh no...how does this shuttle bobbin thing work again? 
Out comes the manual. It blows my mind that this little booklet is over 100 years old! I easily figured out how to get the shuttle bobbin out, and then tried to get the bobbin winder thingy to work. 
Love the pictures in the manual and got that working okay until the thread got all knotted up. 
Maybe I went too fast?
Aren't these bobbins just the cutest little things?!? Every time I refill it, I spend some time admiring how cute it is! 
I am hoping to find some extra bobbins so that I can wind a few of them at the same time and I won't have to get the manual out and relearn the procedure quite as often! I'm not sure if this is a "full" bobbin or not, but this is how much thread was on when it started acting up.
Back to treadling...I have a bobbin ready with some thread, so off I go!

12 comments:

Diane said...

I have a treadle that needs a bit of cosmetic work on the cabinet but runs well. Like you I need to use the book to do anything other than treadle. I think I may set a goal for next year to become good friends with my treadle and use it a lot. At least I will be using my legs and getting some exercise instead of just sitting while sewing.

Linda said...

Every time I read about your and your treadle machine, I decide I'm going to have one of my two treadles fixed and use it! I can just feel the rhythm of my food moving to the beat of the music in my mind.

Teresa in Music City said...

Wow - I have a lot to learn about treadling! Good thing I have friends like you who are blazing the trail before me :*)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I know a dealer who sells bobbins and parts for Singer treadles (along with other brands). I have lots of bobbins for my Singers, but, I have yet to sew on my long bobbin machines. I do great on the round bobbin machines.

Mary said...

You and Bonnie Treadling along together across the miles. Have fun! I'm green, but have no room for a Treadle anyway.

shannon said...

i have a treadle that uses the shuttle bobbins and i happened upon some generic bobbins at Hancock's Fabrics (not the paducah one)that fit and work well...the package was pink...a google search showed some for sale as well.

good luck & happy treadling!

scraphappy said...

What fun! I hope it gets easier as you practice more. Right now it sounds like lots of extra work.

Janet O. said...

What a delightful post. In my dreams I will own a treadle someday. Until then I will enjoy it vicariously! : )

Angie said...

You go girl! You're on your way to being hooked on People Power!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love the pic of your laptop on your treadle machine.

purplefiend said...

I love using my treadle machines, I have 3 Singers and 1 Pfaff treadles. I am making Bonnie Hunter's "Easy Street" mystery quilt with the Pfaff 60.

eva said...

my mom sewed with a treadle, she used to wheel the wheel by hand (to the front) each time she started sewing - which eliminated the backwards sewing not sure if those were the"rules" but it worked for her.