Sunday, February 27, 2011
UFO Challenge - February
Judy pulled #10 for the February challenge. My #10 was a round robin project of my quilt guild from at least 10 years ago...long enough for many of the details to have escaped me :)
My round robin started with this flower block. The pattern may have been by Jeanne Prue, but I don't see it on her website, so I might not be remembering this correctly. I used to love the intricately pieced flower blocks that she posted on her website. (She now has some state flower blocks posted - click here.) If you recognize this block pattern, please tell me where I got it from!
I was so pleased with myself at the time because I hand painted the pink and yellow flower fabrics and was so happy to be using my own fabrics in a quilt.
Then my block went to the round robin, and 2 guild members ( I think it was Sue K and Sharon B? I know you read my blog Sue...am I remembering this right?!?) added borders to it. Since then it has been sitting in the UFO closet because I was sure I was going to make it into a larger wallhanging. My idea was to add more mini basket blocks as another border. But I could never get the size right and the idea just didn't gel.
Finally I decided that this project was as big as it was going to be, and I wanted to enjoy it instead of having it sitting in a dark (and overstuffed) UFO closet!
I just had to remove the paper from the back of the HST border, baste and quilt. I did some straight line quilting with my walking foot...nothing fancy. The hardest thing about finishing this quilt was deciding on the binding fabric. I couldn't decide between the green or a light plaid that has all the colours of the quilt. Since it is a spring wallhanging, I went with the lighter colour plaid cut on the bias and am really happy with it now.
You can see lots of other finished UFO's from February over at Judy's blog - click here.
The new UFO number pulled is #1, which I have located and am looking forward to working on in March.