Sunday, February 27, 2011

UFO Challenge - February

Finishing my UFO challenge this month turned out to be a delight!
Judy pulled #10 for the February challenge.  My #10 was a round robin project of my quilt guild from at least 10 years ago...long enough for many of the details to have escaped me :)
My round robin started with this flower block. The pattern may have been by Jeanne Prue, but I don't see it on her website, so I might not be remembering this correctly. I used to love the intricately pieced flower blocks that she posted on her website. (She now has some state flower blocks posted - click here.) If you recognize this block pattern, please tell me where I got it from!
I was so pleased with myself at the time because I hand painted the pink and yellow flower fabrics and was so happy to be using my own fabrics in a quilt.
Then my block went to the round robin, and 2 guild members ( I think it was Sue K and Sharon B? I know you read my blog Sue...am I remembering this right?!?) added borders to it. Since then it has been sitting in the UFO closet because I was sure I was going to make it into a larger wallhanging.  My idea was to add more mini basket blocks as another border. But I could never get the size right and the idea just didn't gel.
Finally I decided that this project was as big as it was going to be, and I wanted to enjoy it instead of having it sitting in a dark (and overstuffed) UFO closet!
I just had to remove the paper from the back of the HST border, baste and quilt. I did some straight line quilting with my walking foot...nothing fancy. The hardest thing about finishing this quilt was deciding on the binding fabric. I couldn't decide between the green or a light plaid that has all the colours of the quilt. Since it is a spring wallhanging, I went with the lighter colour plaid cut on the bias and am really happy with it now.
The finished size is 17" x 19" and it is already hanging on the wall for my enjoyment!
You can see lots of other finished UFO's from February over at Judy's blog - click here.
The new UFO number pulled is #1, which I have located and am looking forward to working on in March.

21 comments:

Karen said...

I like the flower basket block that you started with. The additional rows around it adds to it's charm. Finished is good.

The Cozy Quilter said...

A perfect Spring decoration! Time to put away all winter related decorations!

Amy said...

As slight as it may be....I love the fabric used for the binding!! Great finish and good use of HSTs as a frame.

Mary Johnson said...

Very nice, I'm enjoying the challenge also.

Mary said...

Your work is beautiful and you are to be commended for finishing something that had been languishing so long. Usually when a project is more than three years old, I end up abandoning it.

Mary

Ellen said...

It feels so good to finish a project..now you have a wonderful wallhanging to enjoy!

Susan said...

Just the thing to remind you of the promise of Spring........ Aren't finishes just the best thing..........

BetsyE said...

Really fun! Nice and cheerful!

Kathie said...

Very cute. My UFO was just as old as yours, it sure gives a lot of satisfaction to get those old ones done.

JudyCinNC said...

Perfect finish and timely for Spring. Good job. Judy C

Cathy said...

That is such a great looking wall hanging. Spring has come early to your house.

Donna said...

I love the plaid binding. Great job!!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

It is so beautiful and that is neat that you hand-painted the flower material!

Becky said...

What a great wallhanging! I think the plaid is perfect for the binding!

Maya said...

It is perfect for spring! Congratulations on the finish Kathy!

Kate said...

Congratulations on finishing up a UFO. It's a beautiful piece, love your center block!

Linda in Calif. said...

Oh this is so pretty - and I really do like the plaid binding. It gives it a lot of life.

Dionne said...

How lovely is that! this has been a great challenge!

Heather said...

So pretty! And so nice that now you can really enjoy it. Congrats!

Jeanne said...

Great finish, Kathy! The center block reminds me of a free BOTM called "Peace Garden" by Forget-Me-Not Studio. It's from 2002. I saved some of the patterns, but didn't get all of them.

Alycia said...

Beautiful. You always make the coolest quilts!