Sunday, February 20, 2011

Scrappy Saturday - UFO Confessional

I read Elly's post about working on her "Quilters' Blessings" redwork block and wondered about my own project. I went in search of my blocks and found them!
There is always a reason why a project becomes a UFO and part of the process to end the parade of projects into my overflowing UFO closets is to take an inventory...and to be ruthless about it.
Last year I did an UFO inventory and decided to put 3 UFO tops up for adoption. They were quilt tops that I knew I just did not want to work on anymore (to read more about that click here).
This year when I made my 2011 UFO (unfinished objects) Wish List, I took several projects off the list that needed some ongoing work and would not be finished in a reasonable amount of time. They went on my new W.I.P. (Works In Progress) Wish List.
This project is one of my favorites from that list...Quilter's Blessings was a Block Of the Month from Capricorn Quilts in 2008.

Here's the inventory:
-there were 16 block patterns released and I stitched 11 of the patterns and ran out of my base fabric. Then it went on top of a big pile of projects I was working on, and gradually worked it's way to the UFO closet, while I thought about what to do about the fabric problem. 11 blocks is a hard number to work with in a quilt layout.



Now for the ruthless questions...
A) Do I still like it and want to work with it?
             Yes...I still really like it and want to make it into a finished quilt.
B) Will I realistically finish stitching the remaining 5 blocks?
             Likely not, because I have several other hand stitching projects on the go. But I could easily finish 1 more block to make an even 12 blocks to work with.
C) What are my next steps?
             Step 1: Pick a similar piece of white background fabric and trace 1 more block to stitch.
             Step 2: Figure out how to set the blocks together.
In deciding what size to make some setting blocks, I realized that my stitched blocks are all different sizes. That was a shock! Could it be that my brain wasn't firing on all cylinders due to all the night shifts I worked this week?!? In the 3 years I have been working on this project, I never realized that my printed out patterns and finished blocks are varied sizes. At this point, the project was in again in danger of drifting toward the UFO closet!
But not this time! I will forge ahead and trim all the blocks to the largest size and then make the alternate blocks that same size. On the right is a yellowed out photo showing the size variance.
I got out my red scraps and figured out an alternate block, which was inspired by Diane's quilt - click here to see it. I am going to make a smaller version of her alternate block. I cut up some blocks and strips and now have everything organized to make this one of the projects that I will take to retreat.
Did I mention that I am going on a quilting retreat?!?!
I am too tired to think about retreat at this moment (did I mention I worked too many night shifts this week?!?) but after a quick nap, I'm sure I'll be very excited to get all my projects packed up. Last year I took 11 projects to work on, and 5 of them did not even get touched!
If the WiFi is working at the retreat centre, I will make daily reports this week...stay tuned!

19 comments:

Debbie said...

I think this quilt is going to be adorable... and it's one that isn't even on your UFO list!

Anonymous said...

This works in perfectly with the red scraps. I'd like to suggest another option, using your 11 blocks. It's also a rectangle, but the width is wider than the length. Put the blocks on point. Set them 4, 3, 4. That's 11. Whatever you do, good luck with finishing. That was a great redwork project.

Scrappy quilter said...

I too think the quilt is going to work with your red scraps. Great suggestion by desertskyquilts...putting them on point. Can't wait to see how it all works out.

Comfort Cove Designs said...

Hey I got those blocks too!!!! In fact I am doing the mailbox squishes one right now!!!! I plan to frame mine and display them in my sewing room!!!! They look great as red work!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Judy D in WA said...

I agree with the on point but whatever you do it is going to be fabulous! And you get to go to a retreat!!! I need a retreat soooo bad. I need to contact the retreat person now. :0)

Have a BLAST!!!

Darlene said...

It's going to be adorable with your red scraps. How did I miss printing out this project? :-)

Fiber Babble said...

Uh, I seem to recall (now) that I, too, have a bunch (but not all) of these blocks stitched and "in a safe place". I remember that I stitched each one in a single color, but all or most of the colors are different from each other.

I wonder what I was thinking?

Congrats on taking back control on that particular project. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Lilian Pilar said...

que bloques mas bonitos, y quedara una manta preciosa

that blocks most beautiful and stay beautiful blanket

blauraute said...

Wonderful work. I'm looking forward seeing the finish quilt.
Have a nice week
Roswihta

Ellen said...

Sometimes things don't work out as we planned and it forces us to be a little more creative. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.

scraphappy said...

What great blocks! I can definitely see why you want to turn this one into a finished project. Glad you were able to overcome all the obstacles along the way. Now all that remains is carrying out your great action plan. Have fun at your quilt retreat. What a blissful getaway to look forward to.

Diane said...

Great Post. Love to read your thought process on this. (and glad to be of inspiration-in finishing a project rather that STARTING a new one!!)
Have a fun and productive retreat- :)

The Quilting Elf said...

That redwork is precious ... I'm so glad you are trying to do something wonderful with them - they deserve it!

AnnieO said...

Much sewing and a mailbox full of squishes sounds like a perfect day! Great rescue. Hope you get all you wish to done at retreat. Going to a retreat is on my bucket list, LOL!

Karen said...

I saved the patterns for the redwork blocks but never did anything with them. Nice to see yours stitched.

Helen in the UK said...

I like your choice of setting block and I'm sure the slight variation in size won't matter in the finished quilt. Enjoy your retreat :)

Elly D said...

Oh Kathy, your blocks are adorable! I hope you do manage to make the 12th block. I love the setting you're planning :) I look forward to your progress, maybe it'll encourage me to make the other 11, LOL... Hope you're enjoying your retreat and getting loads done :-D

Lynda said...

There's nothing more satisfying than making decisions and getting on with a UFO!

bingo~bonnie said...

I'm so glad I clicked upon your blog and read this post - I ALSO have 9-10 of these BOM blocks stitched but then for one reason or another ogt side tracked :/

You've made good progress and will soon have this top completed! Great for you. Now - to find out where I placed mine....... ;) I have to finish them, b/c this was my first ever redwork project ;)

Happy Weekend & Love from Texas! ~bonnie