Thursday, February 10, 2011

Tools I can't live without

On Stash Manicure there was a blog post about tools you can live without (click here to read it). That got me thinking about tools that I can't live without. My sewing machine is my #1 essential tool, and it's at the spa getting cleaned and oiled (in preparation for my quilt retreat at the end of the month).  I'm only able to survive because I have one or two "back up" machines available!
Color Catcher sheets are my #2 essential tool. I first used them last year (click here to read about it) and I toss in one or two with every quilt that I wash to ensure that the dye molecules don't run into places they shouldn't.  I haven't been able to find them in stores in Canada so I buy a couple of boxes every time I visit the US.   The sheets start out white and absorb any floating dyes... the pink sheet is the color catcher that came out of the washing machine after I washed this quilt.
And of course,  I can't live without my quilting blogs... my #3 essential tool.  Amy is posting a fun quilt-along which I am thinking of making from scraps, and Thelma is also hosting a sew-along to make the Eventide quilt, and Kim is hosting a blog hop...there just are not enough hours in the day to make good use of this tool!
What is the tool that you can't live without?

8 comments:

Kate said...

Great list of essential tools. I've never used the color catchers, but I agree with #1 and #3.

Debbie said...

I use color catchers all the time...the greatest laundry aid.

Anonymous said...

I don't think my list would be very short, I seem to think I need it all, hee hee.

Greenmare said...

I love my books on tape and CD, I'm always listening to something when I'm in my sewing room.

Carol Shoemaker said...

I can't live without my rulers, squares, triangles and cutting mat. Also, my iron, and the BEST sheers I can afford! I love your blog, and have a link to it on my blog.

Amy said...

Oh yes....I quite agree! My blog and the blogs of others have truly taken my quilting to more than just a hobby!

LuAnn said...

I think besides my sewing machine, my most helpful tool is my camera. I'm working on the blocks from the Bonnie Hunter Mystery, and I didn't notice that I had sewn one wrong until I took a photo and looked at it on my computer screen. Oh, and you're right. I love blog surfing, too.

Diana LaMarre said...

Wow, look at that color catcher. I can just imagine what would have happened if you had not used it. I have never used them, but now I must find some! Thanks for sharing your tip.