Monday, February 28, 2011

Design Wall Monday #9

This is my what adorns my design wall today.
You can read more about the project on the left in Saturday's blog post - click here. I intended to stitch the remaining block last night while watching the Oscars, but my kids decided to watch it with me for the first time ever, and it was so much fun to hear their commentary that I forgot all about my stitching. We were cheering for the King's Speech  and were delighted that it won 4 Oscars!
So because of the King's Speech, the missing block in my wallhanging is still missing!
On the right of the design wall, is a new project (I already confessed to a raging case of startitis!)  I took a bag of donated fabrics (thank you Marion!) and cut them into 1 1/2", 2 1/2", and 3 1/2" squares and strips, to use in a pattern called "Hip Baby".  The blocks in the left column are the ones from the pattern. Two of these blocks I don't like, and won't make any more of. The blocks in the right column are ones I added to the collection and will be making more of those to use up the rest of the scraps. Very fun!
And just in case you think that I only know how to start projects, I did finish my February UFO!!
Grab a cup of tea and pop over to Judy's blog to see the other design wall blogs today...there were 85 participants last week!

19 comments:

Mary said...

I love the colors you're using in your Hip Baby quilt!
Mary

Tamera said...

What a cute baby quilt!

Sounds like you had fun "at the Oscars."

happydaysquilting said...

Your red quilt is lovely, the block that made me smile the most was 'dreams of quilts'I do that most nights!

Mary said...

You're doing great at finishing this year. 2 months in a row. I thought just quilting my #10 would be easy, but I have had my excuses too. The King's Speech wasn't one of them... Love the quotes on the stitchery!

Bonnie said...

Hum, I like yours better... and your colors show off the blocks so much better. My next bunch of mini blocks is going to get the same go with block your using. Although I may be only able to do a 9 patch.... time will tell.

Vicki H. said...

I admire your stitching so much. The hip baby is the type of quilt I want for me!! Very nice.

Appalachian Mercantile said...

Love love love the red and white quilt. It's going to be GORGEOUS!

Blessings...

Kathie said...

Love the blue and green combo

julieQ said...

Where did you find your stitchery pattern?? I love that quilt so much!! Did you love your retreat??

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Love the Hip Baby blocks and the colors!

AnnieO said...

Lovely variety on your design wall :)

Congrats on finishing your February UFO! I have three sides of my mini quilt to finish up before I can squeak under the deadline!

Joanne said...

I really like the red blocks!

Kate said...

Great colors in the Hip Baby blocks. Looks like a fun project. Congratulations on finishing your February UFO!

Unknown said...

I really like your redwork quilt. Such cute sayings.

Heather said...

Loving that redwork quilt, and just hearing about your block experiments makes me want to start something new myself! lol Think startitis is contagious? :o)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The colors in the hip baby are my favorite. Congrats on getting your UFO done!

Comfort Cove Designs said...

OMG!!! I'm sooooooooooo glad The King's Speech won those awards!! Soo deserved it!

LOOOOVE what you did with your redwork blocks!!! very neat idea!!

I also love how blues and yellows and greens look together!

Quiltingly Yours
Andrea

Maya said...

Those blues and greens work so well! That is going to be a very fun quilt.

Jeanne said...

I love your setting for the stitchery blocks! The second project looks like fun to sew, too.