Friday, February 25, 2011

Retreat Report Day 4

The last day of retreat is very different from the first day. The excitement of seeing old friends has been replaced by excitement to see your family, the enthusiasm of being on vacation has turned to exhaustion from too many late nights & early mornings, the creative energy is depleted from working on your own quilts and consulting on other quilters' projects, and you just couldn't possibly eat one more great meal! I guess you really can get too much of a good thing!
I need a holiday to recover from quilt retreat! LOL
I did manage to get some arcs sewn for my Indian Orange Peel project.  These are my #33 - #52 arcs.
The photo on the left shows the most recently sewn cool coloured teeth on warm backgrounds, and the photo on the right shows the warm coloured teeth on cool backgrounds.
I spent way more time than I wanted to fussing around about whether certain fabrics should be classified as a warm or cool colour according to the teacher's instructions. I discovered that the red-violet fabrics are the hardest for me to classify and I am certain that I have some red-violet fabrics that have been used as both a warm AND as a cool colour in various arcs.
According to my production chart (to tackle a huge quilting project we all make production charts, right?!? Okay...don't answer that!) I was supposed to finish 92 arcs by this Saturday, so I'm just a little short of that goal at 52 finished arcs...yikes! I only have 3 more weeks before the final class, so I will have to bump up the arc production line!
When I arrived home, look what was waiting for me in the mailbox...
a mug mat from Mary over at Mare's Nest blog. She was celebrating her 300th blogpost and sent me a mug mat, which you can see has already been used. The green and white hexagon background is the mailer it was in (cool, eh?) and the back of the mat has karate monkey fabric that you can see on her blog link...very fun! Thanks so much for the gift that will be well used!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time at the retreat and got lots done. On the red-violet delima, I'd go with the adage that context is a lot of the final picture. If it looks cool in one setting and warm in another, then it should be OK. By the way, love the arcs, though I still think they look like monster mouths with teeth.

Kim Brackett said...

I love the fabrics you're using in your Indian Orange Peel. I bought this pattern manny years ago, and still haven't used it! Seeing yours makes me want to move it to the top of the to-do list.

Grandma Coco said...

I do that production chart thing, too!!! Doesn't everybody? How else will you get everything done on schedule?? I even did it once when knitting a baby blanket. It was so boring I thought I'd never finish it. I figured out if I knitted just one row (and back again...that's 2!) every day, I'd have that feller finished in only 4 months. :) I'm enjoying your blog. Thanks for visiting mine.
Cheryl

Sarah said...

Its a couple of years since Ive been away on a quilt retreat, so very envious of you! I love your arcs though, can't wait to see the finished article!