Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Civil War Wednesday

I have sewn the next 2 civil war blocks. One was easy and one was H A R D!
Can you guess which is which?!?
The block on the left is called "Richmond" and I fussy cut the blue patches in the 4 patch blocks which were cut on the bias. That might have been what caused the problem, but you can see that my seam allowance on the outside of the 4 patch blocks is very small and I'm losing some points. But it's "good enough"!
I really enjoy reading the stories that Barbara Brackman writes on the civil war quilts blog, and especially appreciated the story about Uncle Tom's cabin.
You can see my other blocks here and get the patterns here.

12 comments:

swooze said...

It was hard but it is a really neat block!

Mary said...

I haven't tried to do the "Richmond" block yet. I won't do the 4-patches on the bias for sure. I like your colors.

Ellen said...

Your blocks look great...I am following the blog but not making anything yet. I have bookmarked her link to the book "Uncle Tom's Cabin" and will read it when I have some time.

Amy said...

Great blocks Kathy! One of these years when potential projects run out (haha, right?), I would like to create a quilt using Civil War reproductions. Your colors are lovelyl!

Kate said...

Love your blue blocks.

AnnieO said...

Very pretty! Seems this will be a two color quilt?

Becky said...

I love your blue and white blocks for your Civil War quilt. Two color quilts are so stunning!

Nicole said...

You are so right about those square in a square units being tricky! Love the colors you are working with.

Vivian said...

Your blue and white blocks are bold and dramatic and I LIKE them! You're brave to be working with just the two colors, not knowing what blocks Barbara will be giving to us. Keep going, Kathy, and take all the compliments to heart. Your 2-color quilt will be very special.

Lynda said...

I'm slightly behind in these blocks - still appliqueing the Seven Sisters and with Richmond next to go, so I appreciate your warnings! great colour choice by the way!

Anonymous said...

Richmond was a hard block and my seams on the backside of those sections are a little skimpy. I like the blue and white look. Very authentic.

Elly D said...

Your blue CW blocks are gorgeous and your Richmond looks great to me. I've been trying hard to resist this BOW but my resistence is ebbing away. On Monday I made the Richmond block for my Red Scrappy challenge but I sized it up to 12". I love how it looks and I'm loving the red and white projects I've seen this month... maybe a red and white CW? Perhaps sized to 6" hmmmm... I must be a masacist! Think I'll continue to resist a little longer ;))