Tuesday, October 11, 2016

UFO Progress

Some progress is being made this month with my "Grandmother's Choice: Votes For Women" UFO. Finally!
I did not fuss around about the layout much. I set a timer for a half hour and gave myself that amount of time to do some block switching. I tried to spread around the blocks with strong colours (gold, greens, reds, etc) and separate them from each other. I also tried to place the applique blocks around evenly. 
Here are the strips hanging on the design wall. There are 6 columns of 8 blocks. I decided to sew three sets of two columns and I will baste and machine quilt them in these sections. It should be totally manageable, right?
Okay... now, I have to decided how to quilt each block!!!

12 comments:

Kate said...

Congrats on all the progresss!

Barb said...

Looks great and well balanced

Janet O. said...

Good job of distribution. Maybe I should try the timer method sometime. : )
Good luck on the quilting decisions. I think a mix of pieced and applique blocks in a sampler presents a greater challenge. I'll be curious to see how you resolve it.

SandraC said...

Very nice arrangement!

Summer said...

Love seeing the progress! Looks beautiful ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Ariane said...

It's looking great!! You'll be so happy when it is done!

MissPat said...

I'm curious about how you plan to join the three sections after you've quilted them.

swooze said...

Looks great. I only see one block I would have asked about lol.

Dasha said...

The block rearranging is always the hardest. When its a scrappy quilt, no matter how hard you try there's always two blocks side by side. LOL. Love how this is coming together.

Nana said...

I love the 30 minute time limit!!! never thought of that...I spend days.
Yours looks great!

margaret said...

what a beauty

Angie said...

So nice to see these blocks coming out to play! I have fond memories of making them and watching everyone's blocks take shape. Looks like you have a good plan!