Friday, October 14, 2016

Circa 2016

This is just a reminder to anyone who has been sewing the Circa 2016 from Temecula Quilts that the pattern will be removed from their blog today. So if you are missing any block patterns, or haven't studied the construction of the final layout, today is the last day to do that. You will be able to purchase the pattern if you want the entire PDF but now is your last chance to get it for free.
The first step was to border the centre medallion. I chose a black fabric like the sample quilt has.
The next step was organizing the blocks and sewing them together in sections. It has been fun to revisit all these wonderful blocks made over the past few months. I chose a beige print as the background fabric (the sample quilt uses grey). Here is one section of blocks which are sewn on point.
To use a directional fabric like this for a background fabric means you have to be okay with the lines going every which way. If I tried to cut the fabric to get all the lines to be vertical, the squares would all have bias edges, which could be a nightmare of stretchiness. I opted for the less distressing option, which is lines that go various directions.
When you stand back far enough, you don't even notice it!
And here is the second section of blocks sewn together.
There are two more sections to construct and then I can put the 5 pieces of the quilt top together. The last step is to add two borders, but one of the borders requires 120 HSTs so that will take a bit of sewing time.
This will be a wonderful scrappy quilt and I have enjoyed every bit of working on this project. A huge thank you to Temecula for creating and sharing this fantastic project!
Do you think I will finish it in 2016?!? The name implies a bit of pressure to do so!!

13 comments:

Kate said...

It's coming together beautifully! Those 120 HSTs might trip me up if I was going to try to finish it this year, but you've got momentum on your side.

Ariane said...

I love your colours and fabric. It's looking great!!!

Sheila said...

You have done a great job on this quilt .I so wanted to make this but simply didn't have time , I hope I have all the blocks printed off.

Sheila said...

You have done a great job on this quilt .I so wanted to make this but simply didn't have time , I hope I have all the blocks printed off.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love how yours turned out

Summer said...

Looking very pretty ♥

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I'm planning to get my top together at a retreat next week--love how yours is looking--the stripes are fun!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I love where this is going. I saved all the steps as I will fall behind on this one. I bought a gray background, but when I laid the blocks on it, they got lost. I like the lighter version you have (but I don't want to fuss with stripes).

Janet O. said...

Looks really good, Kathy. I love your ability to let the stripes fall how they may! : )
I know you CAN get it done this year, but there may be a problem if too many distractions enter the picture.

Needled Mom said...

Love the great colors! Very nice.

Nita said...

Oh that is really fabulous! Great job :)

Kyle said...

All those little blocks have fit together perfectly and the striped fabric adds to the charm.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Oh they look so nice all coming together! :) Cute alamo stars too!