Friday, October 21, 2016

Circa Struggles

I love most parts of the quilting process. I love buying fabrics, using the rotary cutter, piecing blocks, and enjoy both machine and hand quilting. But the one thing I dislike the most is the math. Measuring. Calculating. Re-measuring and trying to figure out how to adjust quilt pieces when the quilt does not produce the right numbers.
My seam allowance is usually quite consistent, but these Circa sections are not coming out to the right size according to the instructions. Here I am using three different rulers to try to figure out how to trim this section. To get the right measurement, I would have to cut off the block points and I'm not doing that! Or I could unsew and re-piece the sections using a bigger seam allowance to reduce the size of the unit, but I'm not doing that either for the same reason.
So I have to recalculate how to fit these pieces together.

Here I am using the tape measure to figure out what size the side panels need to be trimmed to. There is just so much seam matching in this layout and it all has to magically work out. So far it's not, and it's giving me a headache. 
So I will try to figure out the numbers another day.

Today I am going to the London Friendship Quilters' Guild quilt show. I hope to see some blogland friends and am looking forward to being inspired by their wonderful quilts. 

18 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I had expected as much with this quilt. WHen you set things on point, you change the math. I am going to make the sides and top/bottom and then math what inner/outer border I need to make it all work.

KaHolly said...

Oh, it's so pretty! Good luck making it work!

Deb A said...

Very pretty. Hopefully with a fresh and well rested mind you are able to figure it out.

Deanna W said...

Enjoy the quilt show and hope your math gets worked out. This blogger will be absent from the show...just too busy of a week!!

Kate said...

Pieced borders are not my favorite for that very reason. It does help if you've got some lee way in the previous border. Enjoy the guild meeting, maybe something there will inspire you.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you need a relaxing day. Math is the part I hate about quilting - I do so many different ways to try to make blocks end up right in the quilt and rarely is my quilt completely square

The Cozy Quilter said...

Adjusting the borders and strips between sections sounds like the way to go. See you later today!!!

swooze said...

I was thinking adjusting borders or adding coping strips like others have said but UGH

julieQ said...

I think it is worth the struggle...your blocks are just so pretty!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am a big fan of coping strips to help the fitting process. (If Martha Washington could use them, so can I) Take your time and you'll figure this project out -- I'm not a big fan of math either, which is why I am such a big fan of liberated quilting (not messy, not careless, not sloppy, but enough liberation to keep it real AND keep my head from exploding)

Janet O. said...

Oh, this is frustrating when it happens. I hope you find a solution you can live with!

Robin said...

I have taken blocks apart and sewed a deeper seam. It's no fun but I'm usually pleased with the results. I've also narrowly framed blocks that are too small. I just know when I don't fix the blocks - it always bothers me. Your blocks are lovely, I'm sorry they are giving you so much trouble.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

It's never fun when the parts don't fit like they are supposed to. If it was too small, I'd say to put a tiny border around it, but, too big is different. Good luck.

Mary said...

Did the blocks not all measure the same? Or were the directions incorrect? Sorry you're having trouble. I need to put mine together and hadn't gotten to it yet. Sad if they aren't going to fit. Good luck making it work. Extra Chocolate needed!

Barb said...

Oh how frustrating! I'm stalled on a project too that needs math thinking!
the blocks are lovely and i know you'll find a solution

Kaja said...

This is a great example of why it is that even the idea of quilt maths makes me feel slightly queasy! I hope you get it all sorted out eventually.

Miaismine said...

Oh Kathy! I'm so sorry you're going through this! I faithfully downloaded the patterns every week so that I could make it in 2017....I think I'll wait and see....Good luck and thank you so much for sharing! I hope it all works out and you share your progress!

beaquilter said...

That's why problem with samplers too and often it's because some blocks are nine patches some are 4 so the math doesn't match even with 1/8" cutting sometimes it should be 1/16"