Sunday, October 02, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching Link Up


Welcome to the Slow Sunday Stitching link up! Grab a cup of tea or coffee, and join us in celebrating the benefits of hand stitching.
I am not usually an early riser, but sometimes the sunrise just calls so loud you have to hop out of bed and see what's going on. 

Last Sunday this was going on.

A gorgeous sunrise with mist rising on the lake, and still warm enough to sit outside and do some hand quilting. It was heavenly! 
It was just me and the beauty of nature. No computers, no cell phones, no TV or music, no conversation, no expectations, no distractions, nowhere to be, and nothing to do except enjoy a state of total relaxation in which I could stitch myself together again.

These days are precious and so far and few between. Life can be so stressful, and we need to fill up our reservoirs of strength whenever we can. By the end of the week, all of the benefits of that pieceful day of restful Slow Sunday Stitching had disappeared. It was as if I had never been there, and I was running on empty again.


From Quiltville

So today is the day to refill. I won't have the same beautiful setting in which to enjoy my stitching, but I will remember the benefits of that day, and force myself once again to slow down, breathe deeply, thread a needle and put some stitches into cloth. 
What are you stitching where you live? What do you have to do in order to silence your mind and heal your soul? What beautiful sights are you seeing as you pick up your needle today?


We hope you will link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project with us.


   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

19 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Pouring rain here this morning....I suspect that is not your view this morning. It is a perfect day for indoor slow stitching with a cup of tea nearby....

ES said...

I thought that I'd managed an extra hour of sleep this morning, I even felt extra refreshed, but it turns out the hour changed and I hadn't had any extra sleep :S I've got an 11 month old who wakes me 4 or 5 times a night! I'm often like a zombie! But today was a magical day of fabric shopping, with 50% off, then actual sewing time at my machine!! It was a great day! Thank goodness for my parents visiting from the other side of the world! I'm in Sydney, Australia and its already Sunday evening:) I love your blog Kathy, I love your sewing, thanks for sharing x

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Quite right about that Monkey Mind of us humans! :) Lovely lake setting; peaceful indeed !

KaHolly said...

Gorgeous photos of your early morning! Enjoy your peaceful day! Thanks for a lovely, thoughtful post! XO

Stephie said...

Nothing so beautiful for me Kathy - I'm still surrounded by cardboard boxes. I'm off out for a walk with friends this afternoon, so hopefully it'll be a bit more beautiful outside! I envy your your peaceful spot, that sunrise looks so serene. Have a very peaceful day and fill up well :)

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Beautiful sunrise. I am going to attempt to get a wool applique started today.

Denise :) said...

Beautifully put, my friend! Enjoy your quiet day! :)

Vroomans' Quilts said...

It's another rainy and cold day - perfect to put on some music (I like opera) and stitch the day away.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

frequently I am out on the porch stitching and listening to the birds but I am near a road - not a heavily traveled road but plenty of road noise too - I have learned to kind of block that noise out over the years and just listen to the birds when I am outside. Inside I am usually surrounded by quilts stacked in most rooms or on the walls and can let my eyes wonder as I desire!

SandraC said...

I will enjoy some stitching this morning....nice to have some down-time.

Deb said...

I usually begin each day with a walk on a trail in the park to the song of birds singing while the sun rises. When I need to recharge my serenity and can't get to the beach or the forrest I step into my garden sit and watch the plants grow this usually brings me peace until I notice the weeds.

Kate said...

Sunrise is one of the best times of day, it's sad so many people miss it. Enjoy your slow sitching today.

Suzanne said...

Water, the outdoors and slow stitching just go together perfect!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

I too love sitting outdoors and stitching. Yours looked especially delightful. THanks for our SUnday gathering here:) :)

Deanna W said...

Slowing down mostly because I was out too late last night! A drive in the bush will help to quiet all those voices in my head! Some quiet time on the couch is in order for sure.

Teresa Rawson said...

Your description sounds so beautiful and alluring! I got the borders on my "Bunnies Prefer Chocolate" quilt at the retreat I just attended. If I can figure out out to "link up" I will do so and make a commitment to hand quilt hat sucker on Sunday. I love the idea of finding my center on Sundays before the crazy week begins again!

Miaismine said...

Your post today begs one question: Can I move in with you? LOL! Your post was beautiful! Hope you enjoyed your day!

Janet O. said...

Oh, Kathy, that looks like an absolutely blissful place to quiet the soul!

Kevin the Quilter said...

Truly beautiful and inspirational.