Tuesday, October 04, 2016

Clarissa #3

Bonnie Hunter's leader/ender challenge this year is the hourglass block and I have chosen my project to be a reproduction of a quilt from the late 1800s. You can see my photo of the original Clarissa quilt here and learn more about the blocks here.

Here is block #3 fresh off the ironing board. The challenge was issued in mid July and it is now October, and I have just finished three blocks. At the rate of about one block a month, I will be finishing this challenge in 3.5 years! 

I love the quirky centre block with the 4 hourglass units in the middle. See how the letter A pops out? 
Then there is a round of dark turquoise and neutrals, and the outside round is made of dark brown hourglass blocks with neutrals or golds and one with teal. I really enjoy making these block with small 1.5" scrap strips. 
And here are my first three 12" Clarissa blocks. Each block has 144 pieces, for a total of 432 triangles so far!
I like the addition of the gold fabric and plan to look around in the scrap bags for more golds that could be included. I also found a few more scraps I can include that were from a Crossed Canoe mini quilt I made 6 years ago. The scraps are never ending and I am so happy that some are being put to good use in this project.
Are you playing along with the Leader/Ender challenge this year?

13 comments:

Deanna W said...

Not joining in this year...still working on the tumblers and I started a four patch challenge 2 years ago as well....arghh...not enough time!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Your blocks are beautiful. I'm thinking about the hourglass possibilities but haven't decided on a size or plan yet.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is turning out quite nicely. It is one of those quilts that make me want to drop everything and start this one, but I know I can't. I want to finish something this year!

Ariane said...

These blocks are gorgeous!!

Janet O. said...

These blocks are delightful. Love the pinwheel centers--so unexpected!

MissPat said...

Not doing hour glass units. I'm still working on split nine patches!

Judy Dietrich said...

your blocks are great!! A leader-ender project is planned to take awhile, between other sewing!! You just need a lot of hourglasses!! This would be the only way to get R done for me!! It is going to be lovely!! Enjoy the process, as you are making other quilts between this

Kate said...

Very pretty blocks. You find the best places to use up all those scraps.

Dasha said...

Well Kathy it IS a leader/ender project. It is not designed to be made in a day. It is looking great and will be a good use of those scraps.

gayle said...

I love seeing your Clarissa blocks! I'm making hourglasses, but just out of random 3.5" squares from the stash, with no clear plan as to what I'll do with them...

Mary said...

I need to cut a bunch more. I used up all of the ones I cut before my Quilt Retreat. Nice blocks.

Lisa in Port Hope said...

I am making 4" finished hourglasses (uses 2.5" strips) in a Halloween theme quilt (for next year, not this year!). I got the tumbler quilt Pieced but haven't quilted yet, and I still have Allietare to quilt (I made a much smaller version, it's going to be a floor pillow, not a quilt).

Karen said...

Even though you aren't using repro fabrics, the blocks have a vintage look.