Thursday, April 23, 2015

Antidote for Cabin Fever

You probably haven't suffered from a severe case of cabin fever if you don't live in a part of the world where more than half of the year is spent mostly indoors because it's too cold, dark, rainy or snowing to go outside for long.
Don't forget to look up!
According to the Urban Dictionary, cabin fever is defined as "a type of hysteria brought on by spending too much time indoors". Hysteria might be a bit of an extreme description, but at this time of year I do start to feel a bit desperate to get outside and enjoy some sunlight and fresh air. And we all feel a little giddy when it is not pitch dark after supper!! This was my view while I was sitting in my backyard stitching the evening away earlier this week. You have to get outside while the sun shines, because yesterday it was snowing again. Ugh.

That's okay, because I have a perfect antidote for cabin fever... learning new beading stitches with Anne Marie Desaulnier and the Canadian Embroiders' Guild. I put stitches in hundreds of beautiful beads and feel so much better. I am almost finished my project and will post more photos when I get a chance to take some. If you are tired of the weather where you are, surround yourself with colour and beads and fabric, and you'll feel much better 100% guaranteed!

14 comments:

SandraC said...

I can relate to your cabin fever. I've been so looking forward to spending some time outdoors in some nicer weather. And, yes, what's with the #$#%@ snow!!!!

Deanna W said...

Sounds good ..just what the doctor would order for cabin fever

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have relatively short warmer winters compared to you here in Arkansas normally I can get outside almost every day that I want to even if that means sitting on the porch with a blanket wrapped around me for 10 minutes in the winter just so I can be outside. I think long dark winters would make me be depressed and I have heard that happens to a lot of people in the north.

Carol Swift said...

Beautiful photo! Our weather isn't as severe as yours, but I do notice that "cabin fever" when I spend too much time indoors. The older I get, the harder it is for me to go out in the winter. I'm so grateful we've turned warmer here, so hopefully you'll see that snow go away soon.

Cathy said...

I was doing the same ting earlier this week, sitting outside stitching. I must say it was quite a surprise, and not a pleasant one, to look outside this morning and see snow on the ground!! I want to go camping........( said with a very childlike whine.......)

Needled Mom said...

That sounds like the perfect cure for cabin fever.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I can't wait to see what you have done with such fun beads. We saw a few flakes of snow yesterday too - and a double rainbow!

Janet O. said...

Beautiful shot of the sky!
Curious to see your beading.
Since we never really had winter this year, my problem has been the opposite. Already so much weeding and things to do outside and I am not ready to give up my quilting time in exchange for yardwork yet. : )

Mary said...

Glad you got time to stitch outside before the snow. We planted Tomatoes yesterday in our flowerbeds. I hope that Spring is HERE! Bring on the Baseball with my Grandsons.

audrey said...

I can see why you love your craft so much. I don't know if I could survive without more sunlight that what you get.:)

liniecat said...

What a beautiful sky!
I would be prepared to sit beneath that sky, wrapped up in several layers of clothing if needs be - well at least before I froze to death lol We dont have the lengths of time that you do, snowed in but the long dark winter months are so depressing.
I miss the sun during the winter months, the blue skies are a psychological need as much as the sun which provides vitamin D. I can relate to the confinement!!

Sherill said...

Started the day with some hand quilting. Baking for a Bake Sale on Saturday this afternoon. Picking up the Grands for a sleepover this evening. Great day!

Sandi said...

Omg! What a gorgeous sky!

Sherrill said...

I would absolutely go bonkers!! I (jokingly) tell me son quite often I MAY have to move to Costa Rica as it gets too cold for me in north central TX!!! HA Needless to say any farther north and I'd be an ice cube. And daylight savings time should, IMHO, be year round as the later it stays light, the better. Don't like the short days and LONG nights.