Saturday, November 11, 2023

Scrappy Saturday

It has been a very busy fall here with lots of quilty activities going on. A week ago I attended a "Saturday Mingle" with my local quilt guild and we had a great time visiting and playing with scraps.

When I arrived I had my photo taken with the Mayor and the quilt that Annie (a blog reader) had donated to the Home for Good project. You can read about the story of this quilt here. Thank you again Annie for your kindness and generosity!


There were many quilts hung for our enjoyment, and here are 2 very different Chilhowie quilts - the left was made by Annie from Washington State using 16 blocks, and the right was made by our very prolific guild member Lynn using 12 blocks. Aren't they just amazing?!? 


Just look at this lovely table full of projects. The bags are pre-cut coordinated kits with  patterns, made by the outreach committee from donated fabrics. Amazing!

 And at the front of the table are scraps cut for quarter log cabin blocks.



I took on that challenge, and sewed some blocks for a group quilt. Each block has a gold centre, and scraps are sewn on 2 sides. It was very fun, thanks to Colleen who did all the pre-cutting for us. 



While we were sewing, we were also visiting, and I was so happy to see a former guild member Sharon, who dropped by to donate her fabric scraps as she was cleaning out her stash. We had a little visit and I snapped a photo of her in front of our guild quilt which she helped to create many years ago!

It was such a wonderful opportunity to spend time with interesting and creative people. I really missed this socializing during covid and hope I never take it for granted in the future!

Today I will be participating in an online zoom sewing day with guild members. We are so lucky to have all these opportunities! 


I plan to work on the hand binding on this guild donation quilt. It is a scrappy quarter square log cabin quilt... just like the blocks I was making at the mingle to make another quilt!  I had an outing to the lake this week and took this quilt along to stitch, and today I'll finish it from my sewing room while visiting with guild friends.

3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful quilts you shared today! have a great weekend

Auntie Em said...

How fun to have quilty friends to mix and "mingle" with. I am especially impressed by the precut kits mad from donated fabrics. What a fantastic use for those! I have to applaud whoever "Colleen" is, for precutting all those strips for log cabins. Well done!

Kate said...

It is always fun to see all the different versions of Bonnie's mystery quilts. Sounds like you really had a nice time. Happy stitching this week.