Sunday, July 23, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching


Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party! We encourage you to pick up your favourite project and put some slow stitches in today!


I will be hand stitching a binding today. I didn't sew or do the swirly machine quilting on this project - I am just the binder. I was delayed in finishing up this quilt because I couldn't find my needle threader, and at this stage of my life, my vision requires help threading a needle.


This week I bought a pretty purple Clover needle threader so I'll probably find the old pink one any day now! These are my required tools for binding. I love these Clover black gold needles which are so thin and sharp that I don't even need to use a thimble when using these for hand stitching.

I have a little treat for my slow stitchers today - a story about generosity and quilty kindness. One of my blog readers - Annie from Washington State - reached out to me after reading the post I wrote about the Home for Good project that my local quilt guild is participating in. Annie was moved by hearing about this project, and not only did she donate to the cause, she also sent a quilt to donate! Annie called this a "gentle bit of shared border-crossing kindness"! 

And send a quilt she did! But not just any quilt!


She sent this amazing double sized quilt, made from the 
Bonnie Hunter's mystery pattern called Chilhowie (now available as a pattern booklet to purchase). This special goodwill quilt travelled over 4,000 miles from Annie's house in Washington State, to my sister's house in Michigan, to my house in Southern Ontario! 

Annie wrote: "Bonnie’s mystery quilts have a long-standing tradition with me as an integral part of the holidays and so they, unlike other quilt projects, tend to get finished in short order. Part of that tradition is that the quilt is always given away to someone I don’t know.  It pleases me to think the person who ultimately sleeps under this quilt will feel a sense of connection stitched into it."  

I hope so too Annie! In addition to comforting someone without housing/resources, you also restored this burned out social worker's faith in humanity, and for that I cannot thank you enough! You have reminded me that a) we never know the impact we have in this world, and b) there are generous and kind people everywhere! 💖 



And so my dear blog readers, that is my treat for you today! You would probably also like to see the perfectly hand stitched binding and the label I just sewed onto this treasure.

I am embarrassed to say that the last time my version of Chilhowie was seen, we had a falling out and it went into the UFO closet. It's time to get the blocks out, put on my big girl panties, fix my mistakes and try to be more like Annie - finish quilts and spread kindness!

What are you hand stitching today? Are you finishing projects, and/or starting new ones? We love to see what your hands are creating!



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

18 comments:

Sarah said...

What a beautiful quilt Annie donated for a great cause!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so great that Annie sent you that quilt for your guild project for the homeless! And the quilt project is amazing, too - I would volunteer to be on the binding committee, also. Enjoy your slow stitching today, Kathy!

maggie fellow said...

wonderful quilt and donation story

The Cozy Quilter said...

Thank you Annie for spreading kindness and setting a great example for all of us! Enjoy your binding today, Kathy. Sounds like you need some restorative sewing time.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

what a nice quilt to your project. I have one of those needle threaders too but must admit I'm not even sure where it is. It has been ages since I used it. It doesn't work on the thicker threads I use and totally forgot about it for the other threads.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Just goes to show once again how quilters all over are amazingly generous people. Kudos to Anne and her tradition, such a heartwarming story.

CathieJ said...

What a wonderful story of generosity. Annie is a generous soul and a talented quilter. I hope your binding goes well today. I have to get one of those needle threaders. I haven't seen them previously.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Beautiful Quilt and great outreach project.

Angela said...

Absolutely wonderful!

grammajudyb said...

Wowza! Annie’s Chilhowie quilts is wonderful. What a great gift to your charity! The world is full of good people, most are just more silent! We seem lately, to only hear from the radical loudest ones! Sad!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What an amazing quilt that Annie donated. It will bring much comfort. I bought myself a needle threader similar to yours, but I have trouble threading my needles .Lol Is there a trick? I hope you enjoy your day working on binding. Have a lovely Sunday, dear Kathy.

Karrin Hurd said...

Bonnie Hunter's Good Fortune mystery I gave to a relief effort in the Carolinas when their was a hurricane that did a lot of damage, and Frolic I gave to my granddaughter's college roommate on graduation.

MissPat said...

How generous of Annie and congratulations to her for finishing her Bonnie mystery. I laughed out your falling out with Chilhowie. I abandoned Frolic in mid-stream and swore of Bonnie mysteries for a while.
Pat

Brenda mb said...

What a lovely story. It did my heart good to read this and right now I need something uplifting.

Brenda mb said...

What a lovely story. It did my heart good to hear such a positive story.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Thanks for sharing the story Kathy. It was very heart warming.
Did you find your needle threader yet? I did the same thing for my chalk pen - and eventually found the other two! lol I finished this post in the wee hours so that I could link up this week. Thanks so much for the party!

Nann said...

Oh, such a wonderful contribution! And I like Annie's philosophy.

ButterZ said...

What a beautiful, kind gesture from Annie. Well done to you and Thankyou for sharing.