Monday, November 13, 2023

A new old project

Every year when I go to a retreat I pull out a kit that I bought in Paducah in 2009. Yes - it's that old and never started. I open it up and read the directions, feel overwhelmed and put it back in the package.


This year when I was visiting with my friends Barb, Louise and Deanna, they encouraged me to just take out the fabrics and do the first step. So I did. And here are the pieces from my John Flynn lazer cut kit.


I sorted all the pieces and sewed the first step, which are the centre blocks with kite shapes. I was 3 kite pieces short of what the colour layout on the instructions showed, and had 3 different colours leftover. So I reworked the colour layout and kept on sewing and hoping everything will work out.

This is where things are today.I love how it is coming along and so far I have had enough of the right coloured triangles to continue the spirals around the 7 blocks. There are many more rounds of triangles to sew on - I have done 2 rounds and there are 10 in total. The challenge now is that the seam allowance must be exact or the next round of triangles will not fit.

It felt great to push through these challenges and make some progress. I am so grateful to my friends who encouraged me to tackle this and with their support I actually think this old kit might become a quilt someday! 

Linking up to Design Wall Monday

19 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

wow that is soo pretty...no matter how old...LOL!

The Cozy Quilter said...

This looks like a fun project. Keep sewing! I want to see more!

Gretchen Weaver said...

These blocks look so interesting. I hope the next round goes well, happy stitching!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is a pretty unusual block - cool!!

CathieJ said...

Those spiral blocks are beautiful. I can understand how challenging they must be.

Nann said...

Those are such cool blocks! And having the pieces cut saves a lot of work.

Jayne Honnold said...

Just this morning I was thinking about daunting quilt projects, and how just breaking the big massive THING down into one small, simple step after another, then the massive THING isn't as massive after all. I love those spinners! How fun it will be to work on these!

Deb A said...

Such a fun block! That quilt is going to be a stunner. So glad you were able to face down the fear and tackle step one.

Vicki W said...

I really love these blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Wow, that's a neat block, Kathy! I can sure understand your hesitation about starting them - hooray for encouraging quilty friends. Looks like you're on your way to success with these!

Robin said...

What an intriguing design. I sure hope you have all the triangles you need.

Kate said...

Very cool! Love all those bright colors.

nestki said...

Hooray! I think the reason I get stuck on things is because there is a step that I don't know how to do. Having someone do it with me, even if they also don't know how to do it, can help me tackle it.

Julie in GA said...

Wow, what a great start on your blocks! I look forward to seeing them grow. I have one of those pre-cut John Flynn kits around here somewhere; I think it is a Storm at Sea design. I wonder where it it hiding?!

Vinette said...

Wow! I love this block and the fabrics used!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Wow this looks like a fabulous and fun project, Kathy.

Deanna W said...

So glad I was part of encouraging you. The blocks looks great keep going, can't wait to see what it will look like finished.

Preeti said...

So cute. Looks like beach umbrellas on a sunny day. Have fun with it, such a perfect project, especially in the middle of fall and through winter.Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those blocks are cool looking. (yes, I'm way behind on blog reading).