Friday, November 27, 2020

New Mystery Starts Today!

Every year on the Friday after the US Thanksgiving I start a mystery quilt with Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville. It is my annual tradition and this year is no exception. I take the day off work and treat myself to a whole day of sewing.

Here is a review of the last few years:

2019 Frolic (still in progress but so close to the top being done)

2018 Good Fortune (still in progress)

En Provence
2017 On Ringo Lake is finished! I used the sashing units for a border and love how it turned out!

2016 En Provence - is one of my all time favourite quilts!

2015 Allietare - one of my favourite UFOs!

I don't always finish the mystery quilts I start, but some day I know I will because I love each one!

This year we are sewing a mystery design called "Grassy Creek". 

Red, Orange, Gold, Green, Grey and Neutral

The combination of recommended colours is one that requires sun glasses, but hopefully my fabric choices will magically turn into a lovely quilt. I am using one consistent background/neutral this time for the first time and am curious to discover if I will like that or not. All the colours are bits and pieces and most of them are less than a fat quarter, so there will be a lot of scrappiness in this quilt. I'm a little short on the greys so may need to look in the deep stash for more. I was determined to not buy any fabric this year, so it is what it is!

Remember the golden rule of Quiltville mysteries... no whining! There will be hundreds of small pieces and hours of sewing ahead. Why not make a pot of tea and join in the fun!

15 comments:

ButterZ said...

I’m watching on and have printed part one instructions

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I did Good Fortune but none of the rest - I am downloading the directions once again in case I feel like I want to make this one. Looking forward to seeing yours.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like the colors this year. Have fun making it.

Deb A said...

Have fun Kathy! I hope to get my clues done today as well.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Such cheery colours to work with during winter. Perfect. I dream of the day I can have the skills to work on one of Bonnie's mystery quilts. However, I love seeing what you and other folks stitch up.

MissPat said...

I'm sitting this one out. En Provence is still a flimsy and Frolic is half done and I have no idea where to begin it again. Have fun.
Pat

Jackie J said...

Good luck with your mystery quilt. If you need some greys, give me a call. I'm sure your quilt with be beautiful.

Janet O. said...

You can never resist a mystery, but if it brings you joy, why not run with it? I have been inspired by some of your adaptations of these mysteries, but I never join in while it is still a mystery--and seldom even after the reveal. I think I have only ever completed two of them--smaller versions, too.
Hope you have a delightful day sewing!

Anonymous said...

En Provence is gorgeous! I’m sure the others are too!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Sharon in Seattle said...

Haha, count me in!!!
But. I'm doing this one at 25% of each clue, since I'm determined to make a smaller mystery this year! Frolic is not done, but en Provence and Ringo Lake are. 😊 have fun!

Deanna W said...

Your colours are bright! You can probably introduce more grays into the pile you have...
I am still undecided as to whether or not I will join in!!Two friends and I have started another pattern so do I really want another new start!~!hmmm

Kate said...

Hope you've been able to get to stitching on the first clue. It's a toss up between En Provence or Allietare as to which one is my favorite Bonnie Hunter mystery. Your version of En Provence turned out beautifully. Good luck with finishing off Frolic. I still need to finish both Good Fortune and On Ringo Lake, they will get done eventually. Happy mystery stitching this month.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Going to be a beauty!!!!

Mary said...

I'm still working on Frolic too. My Quilting time is so limited. I sewed a few HST's for part one. Colors aren't totally decided yet. Orange might be Purple, Navy for Red.

sue s said...

I finished En Provence a few years ago, and got halfway through this year's pandemic Unity. I had to stop because the pieces were so small I was going nuts. I download the clues every year, so I suppose some day I will do another one.