Thursday, November 05, 2020

Midweek Sanity Break

What do quilters do when the world is a crazy place?

They maintain their sanity by sorting scraps and sewing quilt blocks. I took Wednesday off as a midweek gift to myself, and opened up a parcel I received earlier in the week. It was a surprise gift of scraps from my quilt guild friend Joan. These are the leftover pieces of her New Zealand fabrics.

I spread out the scraps and cut pieces for the scrappy projects I have in progress... 1" strips, 1.5" strips and squares, and the larger pieces went in the bin for strip quilts.


I sewed one waffle block from Joan's scraps and cut many more squares to be sewn into more waffle blocks. But this one is all New Zealand.


I also made some interesting Easy Breezy blocks from these scraps...so much movement in some of these fabrics! Thank you Joan for the wonderful surprise!

14 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

No better way to regain one’s sanity than to play with fabric! Those scraps are wonderful...what a great gift!

Gretchen Weaver said...

Al the blocks are so nice, what a lovely gif, happy stitching!

maggie fellow said...

I agree sewing new scraps into a project is so satisfying

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Playing with scraps and sewing quilt blocks is the best way to deal with this week! It's my go-to break from the world, too!

Needled Mom said...

Seems we’ve all picked up our scraps for therapy lately.

MissPat said...

With a week long string of warm days (near 70) I'm doing garden therapy as my distraction, cleaning up the rest of the gardens and putting away summer stuff. Back to scrap therapy as soon as the chill returns. This warm spell is an unexpected gift and I can't not take advantage of it.
Pat

Lyndsey said...

What a lovely surprise. I love stroking fabric and playing with scraps.

Janet O. said...

The New Zealand fabrics are gorgeous. Just the right cure for the insanity in which we find ourselves. Well, if not a cure, at least a good distraction. :)

Anonymous said...

That’s the way to do it! My sanity is hanging by a thread. Better get out my scraps!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Jenny said...

I recognize some of those New Zealand fabrics, have used them myself. How wonderful that you get to play with them too, a lovely gift from our kind friend.
Jenny from beautiful New Zealand

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Marvelous gift for a quilter-nothing could be better. And you put them to immediate and good use adding to your pretty blocks.

Mystic Quilter said...

So good to see some of our New Zealand fabrics in your quilts.

Sarah said...

What a great gift! Sorting the scraps has hopefully help stabilise your sanity! 😁

Flickenstichlerin said...

What a nice gift and what wonderful scrap blocks you made.