Saturday, November 05, 2016

Scrappy Saturday Spools #1

For the rest of the year, my Rainbow Scrap Challenge focus will be to sew together my spools quilt.
In 2012 Bonnie Hunter hosted a spool block leader-ender project using a 3" spool block. I didn't start my spools until the summer of 2013 because I had so many other leader-ender projects on the go at that time. Each month I sewed a few spool blocks in the colour of the month with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I did that for 2 years and then sewed them into colour blocks of 4 spools each.
Then the blocks were put on point and roughly organized into colour ribbons.
I worked on it at quilt camp in February and made a lot of progress.
Here is how it looked on the design wall. Where to start? 
I decided to start on the left side and work on filling in the setting blocks.



While working on the edge blocks, I realized there were too many brown Sweetwater fabrics with text. Can you see that there are 3 of them right there? I was hoping that this spools quilt would be like a traditional charm quilt, which features a repeating block and never repeats a fabric twice. And for sure it doesn't have 3 blocks from the same fabric right near each other!! 
I will have to fix that by either separating those blocks or eliminating them from the quilt.
To see what other scrap quilters are finishing up this month, hop over to the RSC link up.

31 comments:

Jo said...

Your quilt looks amazing. It has taken you a while but is well worth it

beaquilter said...

that picture is awesome!! and I say leave the brown text ones, you won't notice once it's all set and done!

Deb A said...

Beautiful. It s so fun to see this quilt come together.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

That is very pretty - have fun putting it all together and getting it quilted

scraphappy said...

It is going to be beautiful. Charming with or without the duplicates.

Cathy said...

Yummy! Coincidentally you were the one that inspired me to make these little spools and I chose this month to get my spools assembled too.

diane said...

Sometimes it's okay to have ones close together like the browns. At any rate it's a great quilt and enjoy how your colors run vertically. I started the same project and still working on it.

Kaelyn Angelfoot said...

I think the quilt looks amazing!

Katie Z. said...

Your spools looks fabulous! I tried to make mine like a charm quilt too, but I think you could leave the three together as a little quirk. It's your scraps, right?

I will also confess to the same leader ender problem! I always have too many I want to do, so some of them never take on LE status.

Ariane said...

This quilt is going to be amazing!!

Teresa in Music City said...

This is going to be SO amazing Kathy!!!

LA Paylor said...

the secondary pattern is interesting. It looks all swirly when it's really straight line piecing... I love quilting.

Kay said...

Kathy..I just love your rainbow spools!!! Gorgeous!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It's a wonderful riot of rainbow colors!!

gayle said...

Oh, that's just gorgeous!!!
(/note to self: start making spool blocks)

Janet O. said...

This is SO happy!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! I love the way you've laid it out - there's so much movement to it! I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do for the setting blocks.

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! It boggles my mind to think of such a long-term project with such small blocks (and pieces!!). But it is beautiful, and I can’t wait to see the finished quilt!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, that is an awesome project.

PaulaB quilts said...

An awesome achievement, including sticking to it for this long. Please don't remove the blocks. They have a special message of love and peace, which all quilts should convey in some way.

Vicki W said...

I love this quilt!

Needled Mom said...

That is beautiful.

Missy Shay said...

I love all of the colors and how all the colors are in rows.

AnnieO said...

Beautiful! If it will always bug you, I say move or remove! No one else will likely notice, though--er, except people who read this post😝

Béa said...

Wow, wonderful setting for your rainbow blocks XXX

Linda said...

Your quilt is looking brilliant!

Angie said...

The block & color arrangement looks wonderful! Very inspiring to those of us who also participated in that LE project!

canuckquilter said...

Oh my goodness, I love all these spools, all the colors....just gorgeous. I don't think anyone else would notice or mind those three matching spool blocks. There's just so much to look at!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Gosh, your spools are beautiful and all together, magnificent. What a lot of wonderful projects you have on the go. Inspiring to Me!!

Kaja said...

Wow -this one is just great,Kathy!

Kate said...

Beautifully done! Love this rainbow scrap quilt. Definitely very effective use of color, even if you need to spread out a few of the fabrics a bit more.