Here it is pinned to the design wall!
The HST border is finally done and I am happy with how it all turned out. Adding that final border was a challenge (although not as big of a challenge as putting together the centre panels).
The side borders went on okay and gentle stretching managed to ease in any excess fabric. But the top and bottom borders were out by half a block.
My choices were:
1) cut off the excess mid block (tempting!)
2) keep all the blocks but take in a few of the seams, making the seam allowances wider in some spots and thus shortening up the border
3) remove one block and let out the seams of other blocks, reducing the seam allowances to 1/8" and gradually lengthening the row until it fit, or
4) remove the side borders, add a coping border, reattach the side borders, refigure the measurements to make a similar coping border for the top and bottom borders (but actually do all this in your mind while the quilt stays in the UFO closet for a few years)
I chose option #3 and was happy with how it all turned out.
I was so happy in fact that I got it in my mind to finish this quilt in the same year it was started. Say what?!?!
I briefly glanced at my UFO of the month that is calling out for attention, and decided it can wait another month or two.
Circa 2016 has to be finished in 2016!
I got out the pins and my favourite Kwik Klip tool, and got to work on basting the quilt.
And also today I am excited that the new mystery quilt is starting over at Quiltville! I love starting a new quilt!!
Karhy, it's beautiful! So much work! Bet it took forever to piece! You SHOULD be pleased with the results!
I am so glad that you were able to make a decision on dealing with the borders instead of putting it all away for 'later'. It is a gorgeous top - I love it!
Good GRIEF what you had to go through with the borders. I'd have probably had a good cry and put it away for a year :)
Wow, looks fantastic! Great job on fixing the borders.
Great job on getting your 2016 to 'work' for you. Mine's still in pieces and will wait for next year.
I just went through the border dilemma myself a little while ago, so your #4 had me laughing. I seriously considered that option with my quilt, thinking more about just stashing it for a season or two. I did finish it. I love your quilt and appreciate all the work you have put into it! Wendy at firstname.lastname@example.org
You have to finish it this year or rename the quilt and you couldn't do that!!! Yes the new mystery is starting...I am joining in too!
Congrats! One less UFO.... I always go with what I feel like working on! Life is too short to work on something you don't feel like working on. Enjoy the mystery. Looks like a good first clue.
A wonderful finished top. When I have faced that same problem I have gone with option #2 because I am lazy and it sounded like less work. : )
Good call to finish this one in the year for which it is named!
It looks wonderful!!
very nice indeed...
Congratulations on flimsy status -- and good luck with the quilting!
Well Kathy, hats off to you. I had this quilt together and now it is all in a nice freezer bag - check out my blog doitrightquilter.wordpress.com to see my tale of woe! Someday - maybe I will finish it. But I became so disgusted that I ripped it all out and then wanted to throw it away! Your quilt looks very good - congrats!
It turned out great! I would have been lazy on the border and just chopped a block. LOL
Beautifully done. Pieced borders are a challenge, but they so often worth it.
Oh, I want one of those quilts. How very good your top looks.
Wonderful! And even cooler I'm seeing this AFTER seeing you already putting on the binding. A great finish for 2016!
Post a Comment