Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Resiliency

Be resilient
Change is rarely my friend, especially in computer land! When logging in to write this blog post yesterday I discovered that Blogger/Mr. Google has rearranged everything. Nothing is where it used to be and it all looks different. To me it feels like someone coming into your home and moving the furniture around without any consent or warning. 
I reminded myself that this IS actually Mr. Google's house and it is a free service, and he can actually rearrange or remove the furniture anytime he wants to!
And so I try to adjust and relearn again how to use a new system in order to do something I've done a thousand times before. The choice is to adapt, bounce back and be resilient, or give it up and walk away.  And we all know that just when I do start to master the new system, it will be changed again! 
And now onto the regular blog content...


this week I have been working on my bow tie quilt and am so close to the finish line. I removed all of the frixion marking lines with a hot iron. Some people are afraid of these marking pens, thinking that there might be a "ghost line" (a white line might reappear in the future) or that the original markings might return if the quilt gets too cold. 
I'm okay with that since the lines will be underneath and mostly covered by thread. And reapplying heat will make any of those lines go away again. If this was going to be an heirloom quilt meant to last 100 years, I might not use a frixion pen for marking, but this quilt will be used regularly and will be in shreds at the end of a couple of years.

The quilting is done, the marks are removed, the binding is attached and now I am hand stitching it down on the back....my favourite part of quiltmaking that hasn't changed much for centuries!

17 comments:

KaHolly said...

It looks great. I detest the new blogger format.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I had to run to my blog to see if there were any changes, but I think everything looks the way I left it. Hard to remember though since I changed things last time I was there! Your quilt is lovely, and you're right, sometimes we get so stuck with how things are supposed to be and forget the purpose of making the quilt in the first place.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope the quilt won't be in shreds in a couple years LOL - surely whoever uses it won't be that rough on it - but then I have had the same experience and saw with my own eyes how quickly a quilt when given to a household that has pets and kids and wash the quilt over and over again can begin to look old before its time :( it sure is a darn good looking quilt. I don't use blogger but your post today looks just fine to me.

Amy said...

Nicely done, Kathy! So happy that you'll be able to use it right as the weather turns. I need to make a few more of the bowties before I can start to finish my modern one.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Nice striped binding...perfect for your bow ties! Change keeps our brains on their toes...this is a good thing, most of the time!

Sophie Zaugg said...

Have a good time hand stitching your binding Kathy ! And thank you for reminding me to make a backup of my blog ;-) (I'm at Mr Google too ...)

Mary said...

I haven't noticed the new change much. Lovely Bow Ties. Hand stitching the binding down is one of my Favorite things. SEW relaxing. That means it is DONE!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yes, I noticed blogger's changes today. I'm not tech savvy in any way, and wish they would leave well enough alone. I haven't tried to post anything yet, and hope it isn't very different. I refuse to 'update' my Picassa account each time I upload photos, since I don't want to have to re-learn that, either. Have fun with your new quilt.

gayle said...

Oh dear, I'd better go check my blog. *sigh*
Love the bowties! And I've always been fond of binding-stitching, too. It's very relaxing in a meditative sort of way!

Lisa J. said...

It's just lovely Kathy.

Janet O. said...

Beautifully hand quilted!!

Jo said...

Lovely finish. I'm working on a bow ties quilt too. Mine is scrappy but I love your colours.

Sue said...

Just gorgeous bow tie quilt! Congrats on your finish. I'm with you on the Frixon pens. I like using them. I'm like everyone else...I'm off to check my blog. Lol

moosecraft said...

Beautiful! Yes... I'm afraid of those frixion lines returning... so I haven't tried it yet... though I do wonder if when it's used on a quilt that will get washed a million times, if the "ink" doesn't just "leave" the fabric eventually?
P.S. Tigger is my hero! :-)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Love the quilt...💖💖

Kristin said...

Mr. Google is driving me up a wall. =(
First, they eliminated their 'Reader', which i used for reading blogs. Fine. I moved on to feedly. Then they eliminated Picasa, a photo service that I have been using for a long, long, long time. I'm trying to adjust to Google Photos, but it isn't as nice as Picasa was. And now Blogger!!! Grrrr. I have a friend that works at google and I gave him my opinions last summer. (he actually agreed with me and said that many of the google employees felt the same!). We must soldier on. =/

Kate said...

It's a beautiful quilt. Congrats on being near to the finish line.