Thursday, November 03, 2016

Hourglass Leader -Ender Update

Clarissa block #4
Clarissa is my primary leader/ender project at the moment. I am making these 12" blocks using hourglass units to reproduce a quilt made by Clarissa White Alford in 1880. You can read more about the original quilt here
This is my latest Clarissa block. It has a blue plaid pinwheel in the centre, followed by a butterscotch with white dots round of hourglass blocks, and a light teal with brown circles as the outside round. 


Here are my first 4 Clarissa blocks on the design wall. I like how the value placement is working out but I think I need to add in another colour... maybe a pink or red? I'll keep my eyes open for some fresh scraps to add in!

12 comments:

Sally Langston Warren said...

Your blocks are beautiful! I think adding some red or pink would be perfect! It would certainly be in keeping with Clarissa's original quilt. Depending on how big your quilt becomes, you could also add a little bit of pinkish purple....that seems to be another color in the original quilt. The main colors you have here are stunning together.

Ariane said...

I love your blocks so far. I think adding pink/red blocks would look great. I bought an old book from our quilt library that has this quilt in it. I bought it because you were making it and it also had a lot of other antique quilts to inspire me.

Jeanna said...

Those blocks are gorgeous. I'm horrible at color placement, I'm always asking my quilt buddy for guidance. I know it is right when I 'see' it as it is hard for me to imagine.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

They look wonderful. A dusty pink would be with the time period and add enough inerest without over powering.

Missy Shay said...

I love the blue and browns, I agree with Vrooman's Quilts, if you want to add another color I would go with a dusty pink.

Needled Mom said...

Great leader-ender project.

Janet O. said...

Oh, I am loving these blocks!

gayle said...

I adore these blocks! And I think Sharon is right - dusty pinks would add a nice bit of warmth without taking over. (And now I want to go back and look at your original posts about this quilt to see what the colors were. Seems like I remember some reds/pinks.)

Karen said...

Pink might look good in the mix! I am liking these blocks a whole lot.

Béa said...

Very beautiful blocks.

margaret said...

loving what you are doing here wonder if a splash of yellow wold work as it goes so well with blue and brown

Kate said...

Love these blocks! The teal, brown and beige are perfect. I was looking for a color palette for Bonnie's mystery, this may be it.