Thursday, November 17, 2016

Scrap Dance Tango Update

I have been working on my version of Carole's mystery quilt called Scrap Dance Tango. I finished sewing 20 blocks and then had to decide how to put them together. In order to avoid matching millions of points (and becoming best friends with my seam ripper) I decided to add sashing. Good decision. 
But that leads to many more decisions.
What size of sashing? Narrow? Wide? 
Should it be scrappy? Yardage? Neutral? Dark?
I thought about what size of quilt I wanted this to be, what sashing size looked more visually appealing to me, and played with some options on the design wall.


Finally I decided on neutral sashing cut the same size as the blocks. But then I got an idea to use square in a square blocks for cornerstones and started sewing some of these. Cute! 




Here is the quilt top so far.
I love the effect of these little cornerstone blocks in the sashing.
Now I think I need to make 18 more of them to add a sashing border around the whole quilt. And then I think it's finally done!
And just in time because Carole has started another scrappy quiltalong called Scrap Dance Waltz!



And another fun event happening this week is the release of Quiltmaker's new 100 blocks magazine. You can see some of the blocks on the Quilty Pleasures blog. This is volume #14 and I can't wait to get my hands on this latest issue of my favourite magazine!

24 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

Good design feature on your quilt. Perfect!

Margaret said...

The sashimg and cornerstones? Genius.

Jennie in GA said...

I believe you came up with the perfect setting for those perfectly wonderful and labor intensive blocks!!! Great quilt.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

A brilliant idea and it looks awesome this way! :)

Ellen said...

Love it...those little cornerstones are just perfect!

Carol Swift said...

This is beautiful! You are amazing to sew all those little pieces together!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love those blocks with the neutral sashing

Jackie J said...

I like the addition of the corner stone, they really finish your quilt top. Nice job!

Ariane said...

Wow! I love this quilt so far. I love how you added those corner stones square in a square. Gorgeous!

Deanna W said...

You quilt looks amazing!! Really like this one!

Paula said...

It's always so amazing to see what a difference a small design change can make to a quilt. I love the secondary design created by the cornerstones. It really makes the quilt. Thanks for sharing your wonderful quilt.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I think you made some great choices to finish your quilt--it looks wonderful!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I like how the quilt turned out.

Janet O. said...

I already loved these blocks, but you took it up a notch with the sashing and cornerstones. Makes me realize I need to think outside the box more often!!

Needled Mom said...

Wow...that is amazing.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Nice idea for finishing. It did lose the secondary design planned, but you gave it a whole new spin, lovely!

Lorna McMahon said...

Brilliant! I love those wee corner sashing blocks in this layout. You done good!

Shepherdess55 said...

So very pretty. The cornerstones were the way to go otherwise the blocks would have looked like they were floating on the background.

Cathy Melancon said...

Oh my goodness! The sashing was a great idea and usung the square in a square cornerstones was BRILLIANT!!!! The quilt looks amazing!!! Smart thinking and great job!!!

AnnieO said...

The cornerstones add a lot, Kathy! You're well on your way to a finished top!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Love the sashing and cornerstone - adds a secondary element to it.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Those square in a square blocks are the perfect cornerstones! Great scrap quilt!

Dasha said...

I need to get back to mine and finish it off. Love your idea of sashing and the cornerstones. They look fabulous.

Kate said...

The cornerstones really add to the pattern. Congrats on a very pretty flimsy.