Monday, July 17, 2023

Leader-Enders

I have been a fan of Bonnie Hunter's leader-ender concept since I first read about it on her blog. Every July she posts a new free pattern to use up scraps. Many years I have made a full size quilt, one year I made a miniature version, and sometimes I have watched from the sidelines. 

Here is the list of the annual leader-ender pattern with either the instruction link or the link to my version if I made one:

2022 Triple Treat

2021 Fish School - block collection

2020 Easy Breezy - quilt top

2019 Shoo Fly, Shoo  - finished quilt
2018 Jewel Box Stars
2017 Rail Fence
2016 Hourglass - quilt top
2015 Tumblers - my "tiny tumble" version
2014 Lozenges 
2013 Split 9 Patch
2012 Spools - my quilt top
2011 Cheddar BowTies 

12 years of challenges and according to my blog, I have participated in half of them. The decision to participate usually depends on whether I have the required size of scraps, and if I am inspired by the design.

The new 2023 leader-ender project is called Oopsie Daisie which uses 1.5" strips and squares. But I was recently given a neutral jelly roll that I'd like to use up, so I'm excited to give the pattern a try with 2.5" pieces. When these thoughts come to me, I just go with the inspiration!


The first test block is on the design wall today. It was fun to sew and will use up lots of strips and scraps and I'm excited to make more of these.

Do you use the leader-ender (LE) system? I really love being organized enough to have a LE project on the go, and I think I'll enjoy this version.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Judy's

9 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

great block and busts more than those 1.5" strips too...sometimes i play along, depends on what's piled on the sewing table

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I always enjoy seeing what Bonnie introduces for the leader/ender challenge each year, and have participated once with Easy Breezy. It was fun to look back and see what you've worked on over the years! Looks like that jelly roll will work nicely for the new blocks.

Mary said...

I did the Cheddar Bow ties. Started the Hourglass one.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't usually do the Leaders Enders - it looks interesting

Sara said...

Like you I've used this system since learning about it. I have also been toying with the plan to use a jelly roll for this one.

Jeanna said...

Your l/e block is gorgeous in those fabrics. I've always wanted to join Bonnie's l/e project but my scraps are not organized at all. Getting there will be a project on its own.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your test block looks fabulous, Kathy. I look forward to seeing another quilt progress. Thank you for telling about Bonnie's new project. Have a great week.

sue s said...

I've never done an L/E but have certainly done some of her others. I think using a jelly roll is a great idea, and I have just the rolls to use!

Janet O. said...

I did learn the leader/ender concept from Bonnie when I started following her blog about 12 1/2 years ago, and I still use the method, but I have never done her leader/ender challenges. In the past I have made a couple of quilts just as leader/enders, but now I usually use the quilt I am working on as its own leader ender, and if I run out of parts that will work that way, I grab "bonus triangles" from a basket by my sewing machine and stitch them together. One of these days I should make something with some of them. ;)