Monday, July 10, 2023

UFO's and Design Wall Monday

In last Saturday's guild zoom sew day, one of the things we discussed was closets, drawers, and collections of unfinished projects. I have been thinking about it this week and here are some random thoughts:

*Most of the time my UFO's don't bother me, and in fact sometimes it feels like a very special collection that someone will inherit someday. Photos of my UFO closet are magical - so much beauty and so many memories created over time. I can look at each quilt project, some with borders or backing on the hangers, and I can remember so many things about the fabrics, pattern designer, life circumstances, etc.

*But once in a while UFO's feel a bit overwhelming. Mostly this happens when I want to put more in the closet and there isn't any room!
One of the zoom attendees recommended the youtube video called "When to quit" by Karen Brown. I enjoyed watching Karen's decision making process as she sorted which UFO's were going to become finished projects, and which ones were getting the old "heave ho"! I hope to do more of that in my quilting room on a regular basis.



*Click 
here to read one of my favourite UFO stories about turning an old UFO duckling into a gorgeous swan. In the right hands, at the right time, with enough creativity and care... anything (projects, friendships, homes, lives, etc) can become beautiful. I just love how the daisies turned this simple QST top into a pretty quilt. I love that the daisies are translucent and you can see a bit of the block design behind them.


*Being inspired, I went through the UFO closet and pulled out 3 projects to finish. The first one is on the design wall today. This was the New Year's Day mystery from Scrapdash and was made totally from stash. I sewed the last seams together during the zoom sew, and today I will stay stitch around the edge of the quilt - just in case it will be in the UFO closet for a little while longer! LOL

I have picked out some fabric for a backing and just have to do some pressing. For that to happen, the weather needs to be cooler. It's hard to put the iron on when it's so hot! But progress is being made!

What's your UFO situation these days? 


8 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

my constant conundrum...i've mostly stopped bed size quilts and focus on smaller pieces, quicker to construct AND finish...but alas they pile up as well...it is a lovely burden tho...lol

Jeanna said...

Thanks for the link to the video. I'll add it to my watchlist. Your Daisy quilt is so pretty. So is the mystery quilt.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love seeing that others have a bunch of tops waiting for finishing too. I think I have over 40 right now but hope to whittle that down by year end. I have already left the message for the next generation that they don't have to have all of them finished, they can give or sell tops to those who would love them and only finish the favorites.

Chantal said...

Thanks, Kathy, for the wonderful post. I will watch that video as I have a BIG problem with letting go. I can declutter any closet, bedroom, and drawer but my projects, no way! The daisy quilt is just fabulous! They add the umph for triumph. The mystery quilt is lovely. You know what I'm telling myself lately: not all quilts need borders. Just saying. Enjoy! ;^)

Mary said...

I try not to count them. Mine are in totes. Different stages from blocks to a bunch of To be Quilted. I'm trying to at least get all that I started in 2021- 2022 to Flimsy stage. I've done pretty well this year at not starting as many.

Kate said...

It's not so much a finishing problem as a starting problem. I am moving along on some of my older projects. Good luck with your decision process, the UFOs do get overwhelming sometimes.

Deanna W said...

I just recently watched Karen's quit youtube video. She made it look easy but I started these projects and loved them. Not sure I could quit on them so fast. Ahhh the daisy quilt, I still love that one and glad you do too!!I have been trying to finish quilts that are just tops...they are no good that way sitting in a box!!

Joy from Days Filled With Joy said...

Well, I have way too many ufos.. but I have gone through them a few times and donated some that I know I will never finish... the rest- well, who knows! I love the daisy quilt, it turned out so pretty! xx