Thursday, May 31, 2018

Clarissa Quilt Top

Clarissa was started in 2016 as a leader-ender challenge by Bonnie Hunter. The challenge was to make a quilt using hourglass blocks. It was the perfect incentive to make a quilt similar to one I had seen at the Shelburne Museum in Vermont. The original quilt was made by Clarissa White Alford circa 1880. She raised her own 9 children, plus 6 children from her husband's first marriage, and after surviving that, Clarissa made her famous quilt completely by hand. That's right... no rotary cutter, no rulers and mats, no sewing machine, just scissors, needle and thread!

Almost 140 years later I used all the modern quilting tools to construct my copycat quilt top. Each block has 144 triangles, and my version of the quilt with 20 blocks has a total of 2,880 triangles plus the 48 sashing triangles for a grand total of...2,928 triangles in this quilt!
I did meet my May UFO goal of getting these blocks to quilt top status, but I'm still undecided about a final border. I'm thinking of a white border with the quarter square triangle (QST) cornerstones, then maybe another border of a million more QSTs. I haven't had the time to make a stack of blocks to see if I would like that, but that is the plan of the moment!
To see more Monthly Goals postings, hop over to the link up.

17 comments:

Mary said...

Good job, it is very pretty. The plan will work well, even if that means more Triangles.

SandraC said...

Wowee!!! Such a fantastic quilt! Congratulations on having it together for the end of the month 😊

Julie in GA said...

Clarissa is gorgeous! I like your plan for the borders.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Just gorgeous! I like your border ideas.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

It's wonderful---can't wait to see it with the borders!

Vicki said...

This is a spectacular quilt. I’ve enjoyed watching it come together and I certainly admire your perseverance. The story of the original quilt is amazing - thanks for sharing all of it!

Julierose said...

this is just so beautiful--man you are the triangle queen, Kathy!!
(And here I shudder thinking of triangles hahaha)
Anyway--just a lovely set of blocks...hugs, Julierose

Cathy said...

I'm inspired all over again (and jealous). I have a long way to go. Kudos and congrats to you!

Karen said...

Love it. Subtle sashings and makes all work well together.

Bonnie said...

Wow. It looks fabulous. Are you sure you want to make thousands more half square triangles? But it would look great. Have fun deciding what to do.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Such an amazing lady and quilter she was! And you and honoring her with your beautiful top / congrats on finishing it thus far!

Needled Mom said...

That looks incredible.

Patty said...

This quilt is gorgeous! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

Kevin the Quilter said...

You should be so proud of this! It is gorgeous! Wow is correct!

beaquilter said...

This looks awesome

Karrin Hurd said...

Fantastic work, love it!

Vivian said...

I am looking through back issues of Quilters Newsletter and came across an ad in a 1996 issue for the Shelbourne Museum book that had come out at the time and featured this quilt. Of course I was intrigued and ordered the book but had to look around to see if anyone had made one. Not at all surprised that you have and look forward to viewing your other posts to see how it developed! Great idea to use it for a BH L/E QAL!