Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Teamwork

Most of my quilting time recently has been focused on sewing blocks for a guild summer mystery called 'Teamwork". Our amazing Community Outreach team coordinates fabric kits for those willing to make a comfort quilt to donate. This is the gorgeous kit they gave me to make into a quilt. 

One of the mystery steps had us making these "Mary's blocks" which I know as "shaded 4 patch blocks". We were given the link to an inspiration video by Karen Brown to learn how to sew 8 blocks at the same time. Yes - 8! One of the steps was drawing angle lines and this was fun for me to play with my Olfa angle "Advantage" ruler. This is one of my most frequently used rulers.

This photo shows the lines sewn and the block ready to magically cut into 8 perfect blocks. But you have to read and follow the instructions to get the steps in the correct order. If you do, everything is perfect! If you don't, you will have problems!



Here are my blocks organized in piles of 10.  Using this technique every single block is exactly the right size. No trimming required... that blew my mind.


And here are some blocks on the design wall. I was having fun laying out some arrangements, while I enjoyed how the fabrics look in these blocks.
This week we will be sewing some 9 patch blocks.

7 comments:

Jeanna said...

Those fabrics are gorgeous. I've never heard of this method to make 8 blocks at a time. Very interesting. It will be fun to watch your quilt come together.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is an interesting technique for making those blocks! Looks like you did them exactly according to directions, and all went well!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

A few years ago I made quite a few of those blocks. I love the easier way to make them. Thanks for the tip.

Deb A said...

That looks like a really neat way to make those blocks. It will be fun to see how this quilt turns out! Have a good week.

Janet O. said...

Wow--so clever. Again I say, who comes up with these things!!!

Kate said...

Very clever! I've made two at a time, but not four. That has to speed up the piecing time.

Jo said...

So we can follow these directions for Bonnie Hunters mystery part 3