Sunday, July 16, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to Slow Sunday Stitching! We are stitching enthusiasts who value the slow process of creating unique projects with our own hands. We want to "smell the roses" and enjoy each day, and each project we spend time with. 

I was inspired this week by reading Cheryl Richardson's blog post called "Put the brakes on". She wrote: "There are some days when I still feel like an Arabian horse charging into the day, moving so quickly (and unconsciously) that I miss my life."

Me too! This was the norm when I was a Mom of young children with elderly in-laws to take care of, a household to maintain, and was working 2 part time jobs. It has ebbed and flowed over the years depending on caretaking commitments, finances, and work pressures. 

But mostly, I am just not able to be an Arabian horse anymore even if I wanted to! I'm more of a cranky old donkey!

But not on Sundays! 

I am breathing deeply, looking at my pretty hand stitching projects and deciding which one to give some love and time to today.

I am on a roll with Melisa's cross stitch Spring Stamps and finished stamp #2 this week.  I made a mistake as I was stitching the seed bag, so I put the word on the bottom and the flower on the top of the bag. I love mistakes that are easy to "fix"!

I've already started stamp #9 while waiting with loved ones at medical appointments this week. I just love how this is looking - 3 bluebirds, 3 bees and 4 butterflies!

I also hope to trace "Tis the Season" embroidery stitchalong from Days Filled With Joy. Step #2 has been posted and I want to catch up.

What are you planning to enjoy stitching today? Link up your blog or instagram post below and share you hand stitching with us!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

8 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

I plan on spending some time this afternoon with my cross stitch project. Sometimes life gets too hectic and we are pulled in too many directions at once. I’m thankful for your weekly reminders to slow down, breathe and do some slow handwork. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now. Your cross stitch stamps are cute! Who doesn’t love a cross stitch bee?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Spring stamps are coming right along! I love the bluebirds, butterflies, and bees in these, too. Have a wonderful Sunday, slowing down, breathing, stitching - it's such a good reminder for all of us!

CathieJ said...

On this rainy day here in NY, I am ready to just sit and stitch the day away. Since retiring last year I am no longer that Arabian horse (love that analogy). It is satisfying to decide what to do when not and not be pulled in too many directions. I love your stamps. That is such a sweet piece.

Kate said...

Some days I really miss all the bustle when Grad Girl was home and we had either swimming, basketball or volleyball to get out the door for. But mostly, I'm enjoying being able to slow down and go at my own pace. The little cross stitch postage stamps are all really cute. Enjoy your slow stitching today.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

You had it busy back in the day too Kathy. I remember well teaching and running my girls around to all the lessons, etc. In those days needlepoint was my slow stitching, take a breather kind of time. Lovely stitching going on here and I do hope you are not having all the weather warnings we are getting in our corner of Ontario.

Karrin Hurd said...

I remember the same thing, doing medical transcription at home, delivering my work, taking my girls to ballet. I will be staying inside today and doing a lot of hand stitching, listening to my tunes. It is supposed to be 108 today. Love your stitching!

Deanna W said...

The plan was to stitch while watching nascar race but alas it was postponed to tomorrow. My stitching will be a day later. Figuring and choosing borders and backing for a quilt top that was funished lasy week.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Lol thank you so much for the giggle about the donkey, Kathy. Your stamps are looking amazing and great job the seed bag. It looks awesome! It is such a treat to see your beautiful work. Have a wonderful week and thank you for making my day. Hugs.