Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Shweshwe Inspiration

Celeste and her Nelson Mandela tribute quilt
Last week we had an inspiring guest speaker at our guild and I wanted to give a shout out to her on my blog. This is my friend Celeste of Meerkat Shweshwe. Celeste is originally from South Africa and imports Shweshwe fabrics to Canada. Her guild presentation is part history lesson, part fabric production lesson, and pure inspiration.


My last quilt made completely from her Shweshwe fabric was the Palmateer Point mystery quiltalong. It was lovely to work with and even before the quilt was finished, my sister claimed it as her own.


Celeste brought a wonderful selection of her patterns and fabrics for us to purchase at guild meeting (you can see them here ). This was the line up of customers even after most folks had gone home!


Celeste's 150 quilt
I was re-inspired to continue to work on my 150 Canadian Women quilt after seeing Celeste's quilt. From her cut off corners and leftover scraps, she made tiny HST blocks along the top and bottom borders... so pretty!


Celeste's 150 quilt
Be still my heart! 💖
I haven't worked on my project for 2 years and realized that I still really want to finish ALL these blocks and finish my 150 quilt. And I really like the white sashing, which tones down the look of a busy sampler quilt.
Thank you Celeste for all the inspiration and ideas!
Now... where are my 150 blocks?!?!

7 comments:

Susie Q said...

now where are my 150 papers for those blocks? one step behind you...

Julierose said...

Beautiful quilts--thanks for sharing--love that Canadian women piece and that border--wowsers!! ;)) hugs, Julierose

Deb A said...

Can't wait to see that quilt again! So fun and I agree, love the white sashing and tiny triangle border.

Janet O. said...

Palmateer Point is beautiful in those fabrics!
That is an incredible border of tiny HSTs on the 150 Canadian Women quilt. Hope you can find your blocks and get going on yours! :)

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

Thank you for sharing - the Nelson Mandela quilt is so beautiful. Good luck getting back into your Canadian women project - I'm sure it's going to be so pretty!

Nann said...

I love shweshwe. What a fum program.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Those blocks are in the FREEZER! Have fun working on them.