Monday, February 24, 2020

Design Wall Monday

I'm just back from quilt retreat and am catching up on my sleep! I am writing daily posts this week to share all the fun and accomplishments. Look for tomorrow's post called "Will you actually like quilt retreat?"

It was wonderful to be at retreat with 2 friends who are also sewing Bonnie Hunter's Frolic mystery. One friend has her quilt top finished already and one has just started sewing blocks. I am in between their accomplishments, having 12 blocks sewn together. We ventured outside to take a photo on a very cold day. It was also windy, so I'm glad we got a good shot of the finished quilt top.
3 Frolics!


Isn't it amazing how different fabrics can make the same quilt pattern look completely different? I just love that! 💖


12 Frolic blocks
I am going to sew my blocks on point and really like the curvy effect which you don't get with the straight set. This is the centre part of my quilt. I'm not quite half finished the centre blocks, and haven't started on the outside half blocks yet.





And look what I bought... a Frolic mug to enjoy my hot beverages while sewing thousands of blocks for this quilt! You can get this and any of the previous Quiltville mystery swag at Zazzle




If you order a sweatshirt, beware that the sizing is very generous. I measured myself and got a sweatshirt that is way too big and did not shrink at all in the dryer. Here I am at retreat, early in the morning, drinking coffee from my new Frolic mug, and wearing my too big Frolic sweatshirt.

Linking up to Design Wall Monday over at Small Quilts.

18 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Sounds fun! Beautiful versions of this pattern!

Chris said...

Bonnie will be at the shipshewana retreat next april. Start saving.0

gailss said...

Love your tops and yes, color does change the look....they are great! Bet you all had fun and enjoyed your retreat! Welcome back.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the Frolic tops! I hate it when sweatshirts don't quit fit right - I had recently gotten one from a political thing hubby is involved in and it is big through out except the hips! Baggy fit every where and then too long and tight in the hips!

Kate said...

It's always fun to see the same pattern made in different fabrics and colors. Sounds like you had a good retreat and made a lot of progress

TakeMeThereTotes said...

Love seeing all the different Frolics!

SandraC said...

The 3 Frolics are all so beautiful! Where was your Retreat held?

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I knew I would enjoy seeing your Retreat photos. These are gorgeous blocks and look how happy you look in the photos, Kathy. In your element. And love seeing purchases...covet neat mugs and cozy sweatshirts.

Louise said...

It is amazing how different the blocks look in the various fabrics! Nice to see your smiling face, too :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

What's NOT to like about a retreat?! Looking forward to tomorrow's post. You are right about those Frolic quilts. The same, yet oh SEW different!

Sarah said...

This is a lovely pattern and I love your choice of fabrics but you are right how those colour choices alter what you see! I quite like a roomy sweatshirt, you need movement room when you're sewing! Well that's my excuse anyway😁

Chantal said...

Very different blocks but I love all three colourways. Your mug is so cool. I love a good size mug for coffee. Thanks for the link. Looking forward to more pictures from this retreat. ;^)

Deanna W said...

My frolic top is finished too but I have put it in timeout for now...a little tired of the colours. Better that you sweatshirt is too big...than too small!! haha

Cynthia@wabi-sabi-quilts said...

How fun to sew with friends, cozy and warm. All three colorways are great - each so different!

Janet O. said...

That is fun to see the way the same blocks can make quilts that look completely different from each other with different fabrics.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Usually sweatshirts and tshirts run small, not large. Enjoy it even if it is too large.

Judy Hansen said...

This year's mystery quilts each look so different with everyone's fabric choices. Yours is very pretty. Judy

Unknown said...

Quilt retreat sounds like great fun. Browsing through many quilt blogs and a bit of experiencing on my own, I have found that quilt stitching can be taxing and monotonous. It would be great to have a company as you spend time quilting. Kathy looks like you three spent a great time together. For more updates please visit at https://www.bloghasting.com/