Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Treadling on Tuesday


Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian visitors! 
My celebration plans include some gardening, a BarBQ, maybe a parade and fireworks depending on the weather, and a little treadling time with my Singer Treadle from 1901!



I have made some progress on my Treadled Scrap quilt. I cut the black background fabric I purchased and decided to go with a variety of widths. I posted a photo of some strips on my design wall back in April (click here to see that post) and decided that I liked the idea of the background strips being many different sizes. This is kind of how it might look, with the various black sashings between the scrappy strips. I am going to start treadling some sections of the scraps together and then attach them to a background strip.

It's encouraging to be moving to the next stage with this quilt. I've been treadling scraps for a year and a half and will finally have something to show for it! 
 Won't it be so amazing to someday have a finished quilt made entirely on the treadle machine?!?

16 comments:

Lesley said...

Looks like a perfect way to spend the day. We will be walking down to the Canada Day events in our town...lots of cake, music, and festivities.

Deb A said...

Happy Canada Day Kathy! Enjoy all the patriotic red and white today. Love the idea that you will have a whole quilt made on the treadle machine. Can't wait to see the progress with the strips attached.

Ellen said...

I find it so hard to believe but the time really has passed so quickly. So glad for you that you have now moved to a new stage in creating your treadle quilt.

Happy Canada Day!!

Dolores said...

Happy Canada Day to you. I will be watching the annual East York Canada Day parade and then going up to the park. Invited son #2 for a bbq and there's a little quilt on the frame. I hope to get a bit of time to spend on it.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy Canada day to you - have fun!

Nell's Quilts said...

A dreary start to the day but hopefully things will clear up and you'll be able to get all the Canada Day festivities in. Looking forward to seeing the progress you make with the treadled strips. Glad you went with the variety in strip widths. It will be a lovely modern looking quilt with a touch of old fashioned scrappy piecing. Your dark fabric choice will make it dramatic for sure.

Missy Shay said...

I was so excited when I finished my first quilt entirely on the treadle! Happy Canada day!

Josie said...

Happy Canada Day Kathy!! :o))
Hope the weather is good to you and you get to enjoy the parade and fireworks. Mind you... I think I'd rather be treadling. An old Singer treadle machine is on my wish list.
Have a great day....xx

Janet O. said...

Happy Canada Day to you, Kathy! I have such fond memories of being in Alberta Canada on July 1st, 3 years ago. We enjoyed a very fun little parade in Waterton and fireworks that evening over Cardston, with a family reunion in between in Mountain View. I believe I got to sing "O, Canada" about 3 times that day!
That is very exciting to be making such visible progress on your treadling project.
Enjoy your celebration today!

Karen said...

Enjoy your day. We have our day on Friday, July 4th. We plan on staying close to home. Too much traffic on a holiday three day weekend.

Rebecca in AK said...

Happy Canada Day! I have loved watching your progress on this scrappy quilt. A whole quilt made on your treadle machine, that is really special!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Happy Canada Day--I saw it on the calendar this morning and my friend Nora reminded me last week

julieQ said...

Happy, happy Canada Day!!!! Happy treadling too!

scraphappy said...

Love your persistence. It will be a quilt to remember.

margaret said...

love different sized stripe in a quilt, laughed at your hobby and mental illness could also substitute obsession, feel I am a bit obsessed with stitchery

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I wish you were closer. I'm getting to attend 2 TOGA's (vintage sewing group get togethers) in 2 weekends this month. You would love getting to see all the treadles and other machines.