Wednesday, July 16, 2014

OLD?!?

Can you relate to my love/hate relationship with technology? 
I love love love my MacBook computer... best purchase ever! But when it doesn't work, and acts up for no apparent reason, it can be so frustrating.
I recently spent about 6 hours at the local "Genius Bar" getting my computer fixed. Even the best geniuses are no match for my "old" computer! 
OLD, you say?!?!
I started laughing out loud, and I mean laughing LOUDLY, because I remembered a Ron James comedy routine. He is one of my favorite Canadian comedians . If you haven't seen his computer rant, I posted it here for your enjoyment. If it's not your kind of humour, at least fast forward it to 4:45 to hear my favorite part about "old" computers.

Okay... back to the Genius Bar...so the teenaged employees stared at me like I had lost my mind, while I laughed at nothing except my memories of Ron James' definition of "old". Too funny! 
Well, thankfully I haven't lost my mind, and luckily for me nothing was lost on my OLD computer. But it sure was a big "wake up call" for me. I need to back up everything to make sure I don't lose several years of precious memories/photos. 
The geniuses told me that I had to buy a new external hard drive to replace my old broken elephant. 
Say what!?!? My elephant hard drive is hardly used and just a few years old. But they said it was broken, so who am I to argue with a genius?
Of course I bought the new hard drive.
And just look at the difference in size (and amount of cords etc) between the old and the new one!
Look at the difference in width of the devices!
Okay, so maybe the big elephant in the room is OLD!
And so am I!!

18 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is too funny - yes, I think I am an old elephant too.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks for the reminder - I need to back my computer up - haven't done that in awhile.

Lesley said...

Your old drive sure looks like the one I have ...all those cords and cables! I thought I was doing so well to even have one...maybe it is time to upgrade too!

Jo said...

Haha, that's funny.
I hate when we have to replace our computers. We spend so much on them and then they are outdated so quickly.

Dolores said...

Ah, thanks for the Ron James link. I had a good laugh this morning. A great way to start the day.
At least your 'old' computer is working and you didn't have to buy a new one.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I liken all technology to one of the final scenes in the Wizard of Oz when the balloon takes off without Dorothy and the Wizard shouts out, "I can't come back - I don't know how it works". That is what I say when I hand my computer over to my 3 year old grandson!

Cathy said...

I have a Macbook, and also love it. When others are messing with things crashing and virus updates and all that kind of stuff, I just keep merrily computing away. Mine is considered old in the computing world, too, over 4 years old. I'm seriously considering getting a new one. Electric Quilt has finally figured out how to adapt their program for macs, but it needs a newer operating system than I have. And it doesn't make sense, at this point, to spend the money to update this one. Plus, it has started doing funny weird things, like the screen going black, and then coming back. I do have most of it backed up, however.

Carol Swift said...

Oh, my gosh! I am laughing hysterically over this! That guy is really funny, but he is so right on. I hate that I walk out of the computer store with my brand new computer, only to get home and see that there's a new and faster version now available. Good that you were able to save everything and thanks for this great start to my morning.

Diane said...

So relate to love/hate with techno
Will have to watch the comedian when I'm on my computer...I can't get it to work on my smart (?) phone
Ironic.

Marei said...

Loved the Ron James clip...especially when he's on the phone with the "help line" in one hand and the "suicide" line in the other. Laughing out loud was a great way to start my day.

Karen said...

Technology is changing so fast that I can't keep up with what is new and what it is all for. When I have a problem and look online for a solution, the answers are in geek talk and very difficult to understand.

Janet O. said...

I think my external hard drive is as big as your elephant!
I am now getting messages on Pinterest that my browser is too old to allow a good Pinterest experience. Yeah, right! : )

Nana said...

I "love" dealing with the teenage genius's @ the computer shop. They are always indicating that something needs to be replaced or is not up to current standards.
My thought...please fix and let me go home, my time clock is running too. Good luck with the new hard drive.

Quiltdivajulie said...

My 5-year old Macbook bit the dust not long ago -- my "genius" son nabbed it, wiped it, and uses it at the theater for part of his sound design work. Me? I love my new Mac Mini (with online backup through Carbonite).

Mary said...

Not Too OLD- Maybe Outdated... At least you aren't getting Microsoft Tech calls in your area. It's a SCAM. Hope the new drive remedies your troubles. Whatever did we do without the Computer?

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 today, a scary move took several hours but now all my stuff has been backed up on a cloud somewhere. Not sure that is a good thing or bad thing. I told my husband when he came home from work and he asked "What happens if it rains?"

margaret said...

I have been told my computer needs replacing, I have had it 5 years! Must admit I would love a lap top, be able to catch up on blogs etc a lot easier, like when I have an early night it could go with me

Kate said...

Oh that clip was way too true and so very funny!

In the last 4 years, I've had two "failures" on lap tops. The first couldn't be fixed, the second had to have a new hard drive. So I back up religiously. In progress files (like quilt projects) get backed up every time I update them on a thumb drive, and a full back up of pictures and other stuff every month.