Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Treadling on Tuesday

I have been treadling a bit here and there on my old 1901 Singer. I am joining the scrap strips together and then sewing those long strips to the black sashing that I cut a couple of weeks ago - click here to read more. You can't see the black sashing in this photo because it's under the paper. I am drawing my 1/4" sewing line on the edge of the paper as I go along to make it easy to be accurate.
I am removing the paper from the seam allowances where I joined the smaller strips together because it's so hard to pull paper out from under a seam allowance once you've sewn over it.
Have I mentioned lately that I love my treadle machine?  It's unexplainable really and difficult to express how very soothing and relaxing it is for me when I sew on a treadle. 
I should have some progress to show on this project soon. And I am starting to get ideas about how I might hand quilt it!

16 comments:

Kate said...

Looking forward to seeing all those strips sewn together.

newsurfiegirl said...

Ohh what fun! I have an old White treadle machine. I would love to be able to use it but alas I broke the leather strap that runs it. I did have it in to be fixed but we moved before it was finished. Maybe one day!

Deb A said...

So fun! I did strips of fabrics onto muslin for a guild charity quilt. It came out really neat. Looking forward to seeing how your's comes out.

Carol Swift said...

My sister has my grandmother's old treadle machine, but it isn't as lovely as yours. Loving those strips!

Missy Shay said...

I have never done paper piecing before. It is very soothing to sew on a treadle, I love it too!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I would love a treadle some day - enjoy your soothing stitching.

Mary said...

Nice to see you working on sashings already. Have fun Treadling.
No Treadle here. :(

Gypsy Quilter said...

That's a lovely machine. When sewing on phone book paper, I've discovered that starching the units until crisp before further assembly allows me to remove the paper more easily. Happy stitchin'!

Nita said...

Someday I will have a treadle machine. It speaks to the slow quilter in me :)

Chantal said...

She is such a beautiful machine. Lucky girl you are. Got to get mine fix... soon!! Can't wait to see this quilt.

Angie said...

I know what you mean about the soothing stitching of a treadle machine!

Janet O. said...

I've always wanted a treadle, but am starting to accept the idea that I probably don't have a place for one. This is such a fun scrappy project and I look forward to seeing it come together.

Nell's Quilts said...

Looking forward to seeing the finished top put together. What a great way to get rid of adding machine tape and scraps at the same time.

julieQ said...

I am so glad you are at peace (piece) treadling away...seems (seams) like fun to me!

Barb said...

I just drool over your machine every time you show it....

margaret said...

strips looking good but why the paper? is it for the seam allowance, sorry not come across this before and curious.
We all seem envious of your treadle machine