Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Indian Orange Peel Revival

The Indian Orange Peel blocks have re-appeared! I have been struggling with this quilt for more than 3 years now. But the struggle is over and progress is being made! Previously I could work a whole afternoon trying to complete a block, struggling, and removing stitches and trying again. It was so frustrating (click here to read more sordid details!)
And I gave up on it for a while.

So what has recently changed?


1. I took a curved piecing class with Pippa Moore at Quilt Canada last month which instilled confidence in my ability to painlessly piece curves on a sewing machine. In the class I sewed several blocks and it was totally fine - I was shocked! No tears! No swearing! No ripping out stitches at all! 
Her tips included: 
a) stitching s-l-o-w-l-y (hard for me to do, but it works!) 
b) using the "3 pin method" - pin beginning, middle and end of seam, and 
c) not pulling or stretching the fabric.
At one point in the class Pippa said "when you are ready to start sewing the curve, let me know and I will come over and help you". So I did. And Pippa came over and stood there. And she didn't even say anything but something magical happened... and ta-da, I could sew curves! 


So when I got home, I took out one of my orange peel blocks, and started working on this project again. I reminded myself how to cut the center of the block using the template and freezer paper.

2. Then The Quilt Show posted a free video of Jacqueline de Jonge demonstrating how she sews the complex curves on her amazing quilts. She recommended taking the paper foundations off the units before sewing.  
After I watched the video, I bravely try sewing the curves on one Orange Peel block without the paper and it was soooo much easier. SO MUCH EASIER! I was a little nervous about stretching all the seams, but nothing happened and the block lays quite flat!


I am so happy! 
I feel like I can now complete this quilt. 
And I am actually looking forward to sewing the remaining blocks! 
I can't believe it myself!
Hmmmm....perhaps this is a life lesson for me to learn about how to overcome challenges?!? 

29 comments:

Plum Cox said...

I'm so excited for you! well done for overcoming your anxiety, practising and learning - your block looks FANTASTIC!
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them in the fullness of time, it's shaping up to be an awesome quilt!

Plum Cox said...

I'm so excited for you! well done for overcoming your anxiety, practising and learning - your block looks FANTASTIC!
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of them in the fullness of time, it's shaping up to be an awesome quilt!

scraphappy said...

WOW! So glad you will be able to finish this great project.

Ellen said...

Fantastic Kathy! Some times we just have to wait for the right time for the good things to happen and it looks the timing has been perfect!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

All things in their own time - you've found the right timing with this project.

The Cozy Quilter said...

We need to get together to sew. My IOP is languishing too. Your block looks great! Keep going!

Jean said...

This block looks so good! Great job!

Terry said...

I love that block! Not sure I'm up to making any, but maybe someday. :0)

Nana said...

Kathy, Fantastic block. Isn't it wonderful that sometimes when we slide things to the side and wait,our knowledge catches up. I have this same issue with knitting....Always wanting to make things that are above my knowledge level. I have been told repeatedly....start simple and knit, knit, knit.....but I am very impatient. You are an inspiration.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

WOW I feel SO much better about MY life knowing that you have cried, ripped, sworn, and tore your hair out about something. LOL! :) Because you always amaze me and I think that you can sew in your sleep :)
Seriously seeing these types of blocks and knowing that anyone can sew them boggles my mind :)

Gari in AL said...

I didn't realize you were trying to sew the curves with the paper on, no wonder you were having trouble. But I have always loved the pieces of this quilt so I am excited, too, to see it finally coming together. It will be BEAUTIFUL!!

Needled Mom said...

Oh yeah!! It is going to be a gorgeous quilt.

Debbie said...

It is great to see this quilt emerge again! Sew glad it is going so well!

Nell's Quilts said...

You waited, put it aside, then did something about it - you took the course and regained confidence in your ability to piece the curves. We all knew you could. If you can tackle those minis and be so brilliant with them you could handle the orange peel too. Way to go girl! Looking forward to seeing the flimsie and the finished quilt.

swooze said...

How many blocks done how many to go??

Deanna W said...

"chompers" might actually get done!!
WOOHOOOOOO!!! WAY TO GO FRIEND!

Rebecca in AK said...

Your Indian Orange Peel block is absolutely beautiful! It looks really difficult. I am so glad that you are having success with piecing them together! Great tips for sewing curved seams, which I have not been brave enough to try yet.

Terri said...

Just the colors you've chosen are inspirational to me... in fact, I swooned when I saw your finished block. Yummy, and so flat! Congrats on your success. Please keep us in the loop - I'd love to see more of this one.
Hugs

Barb said...

Awesome

Kate said...

Way to go! Looking forward to seeing this one completed, I remember you posting it earlier and just loved the color scheme you had worked out.

Mary said...

YAHOO for good teachers who get you out of the fear of CURVES!

Cathy said...

Woohoo for the Indian Orange Peel! I've been waiting for this to show back up again, ever since you blogged about it the last time. I can't imagine trying to do the curves with the paper still on, though. That would most definitely make the whole process much more frustrating and difficult. Looking forward to seeing much more of this one.

Chantal said...

Way to go Kathy!! Whoop Whoop!! I am so happy for you for getting over that hurdle! Maybe there is hope for me too. Love your block and the colours (it's orange) and it's flat!!! ;^)

Lisa J. said...

What a brave woman you are Kathy. i am so impressed!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I love curves but I am not good with the straight stuff! So glad you figured out the problem. The blocks are awesome.

AnnieO said...

Having experts as your instructors sure made it work like a hot knife through butter! Congrats

margaret said...

so good you have learnt the curve piecing technique, looks really good,, another to try for me

PeggyinNO said...

I learned a great lesson from you! To put things away when the struggle gets to much UNTIL I have the skills to finish it correctly!!! I seem to spend too much time trying to work it out when I could be accomplishing something else.
I'm so glad to see you get this project out again. I love the colors and will look forward to seeing the end result. Have FUN with it!!

Jackie at Adirondack Urban said...

Congratulations on getting over your fear of sewing curves! Your block looks great!