Friday, July 25, 2014

Thread

Not much quilting is going on here. It was such a busy week. This morning I am thinking about thread since Sharon posted about it today.
I love all kinds of thread and in the past have purchased
whatever was on sale. But because my Brother machine prefers the 50 wt thread for quilting, I thought I would try the Aurifil in the large cone size. The large cones (5900m/6452yds) have about 4.5 times as much thread as the spools I usually use (which have 1300m/1430yds).  I have not yet found a price for the large cone which makes it worthwhile to purchase, and you don't get the colour variety to work with when you buy the large cones. Unless I find a great deal on the large cone, I think I'll stick with the regular size that I like to use that fits nicely on my machine.
BTW... I tend to watch the Tristan website for Aurifil thread deals.
Okay... better get going and put this thread to use!

8 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I had trouble with my machine when I used Aurifil 50/2. I seem to have better luck with Prescencia 50/3 ... maybe with the extra ply, it's a little stronger? I did notice less lint with the Aurifil, which was nice.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm sure you will find the right thread one day. I bought several beige color cones from Connecting Threads awhile back on sale and will get to using them in the fall, just not enough time right now to start quilting a quilt.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Our threads are just as important as our fabrics (which are just woven thread). Everyone has their favorites and each machine handles types of threads differently. Even when handquilting - different threads give a different look to our work.

Created by Kathi said...

I pieced a project with Aurifil because I was out of my regular and had won some .. the 50/2 is awesome for piecing... I use the 28/2 for hand quilting too! Love the colors... YLI is my fave hand quilting thread but they don't have the colors Aurifil has.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kathi

Lisa said...

Your little quilt looks so pretty in your header.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I use the large cones from Connecting Threads and my machine seems to like it. I use a neutral and don't worry about changing colors it seems to work with everything. As for Aurifil, I tried the 28wt for hand quilting and was disappointed. I am back to using YLI. I like a stronger thread when it comes to hand quilting.

Threeundertwo said...

I'm an aurafil convert. Thanks for the reminder about the Tristan website!

Bonnie said...

I have used one large cone of thread. It took about a year and a half. It was silver, a color I tend to use frequently. Hubby bought as a gift (I'd asked for it). He thought if one cone is good why not a black cone also. 6 years later I've barely made a dent in it. I assume it will dry out long before I use it up.