Friday, July 04, 2014

Get ready - get set - GO!

Once all the batting scraps were pieced into a useable size, I was ready to move this baby quilt to the next step, which is pin basting.
An absolute necessity for pin basting is the Kwik Klip tool. I love it so much that I have 2 of these tools in case I can't find one when I need it.  This makes the pinning job much easier on the fingers.


I am using my favorite Aurifil threads - a yellow variegated thread in the bobbin and a pink on the top. This photo shows the backing which is a soft pastel starry flannel.

Okay... ready to quilt!

What design to use? 

I decided to make a wavy line grid, which I haven't done for a while (here is my last wavy grid quilt) but I remembered it as being a fun and fast pattern to quilt. Yep.. it is just as fun as I remembered it being!
I found it easier to quilt the wavy lines with the walking foot on the machine. The free motion foot didn't feed the three layers (one layer of batting plus two flannel layers) as evenly as the walking foot. And so far, I've not had one single problem with threads breaking or tension  issues... gotta love that!
Happy July 4th to my American friends... enjoy the celebrations!

12 comments:

antique quilter said...

I really like that tool too. cute baby quilt have fun quilting it.
kathie

Lesley said...

What a bright and cheerful quilt! Looks great with those wavy lines!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I pin baste for hand quilting and just purchased one of those Kwik Klip tools ... I hope to be able to use it tomorrow (so I can be hand quilting for Slow Sunday Stitching!).

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a bright and cuddly quilt. I like to use my machines's serpentine stitch with the walking foot (change the settings to stretch it) - fast, fun, and love the texture it gives.

julieQ said...

Perfect quilting pattern for your pretty quilt....I think I will cook out today...but what to cook vegetarian hubby? Maybe portabello mushroom burgers?? Have a great day!

Janet O. said...

This is a fresh and fun baby quilt. Love that backing for it!
Great idea to have a 2nd klip tool on hand. I'll have to copy that. : )

Deanna W said...

Love my Kwik Klip too. Have seen a homemade one where someone(a hubby I am sure) put a screw into a wooden handle(might have been a broomstick) and then cut off the top of the screw. You would have to grind the end smooth but it works!!The screw would have the spirals to catch the pin.
You always make machine quilting look sooo easy!

scraphappy said...

Super fun quilting pattern. Thanks for the independence day wishes.

Carol Swift said...

Such a cute quilt and I love your wavy quilting pattern...sweet!

Kate said...

Such a sweet quilt, love the front and the backing. Happy quilting this weekend.

margaret said...

Quilt is looking good, not seen the tool before but I used the curved safety pins and they go in so much easier than the straight ones

Barb said...

great colors for a baby quilt!