Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pink Crumbs and leaders/enders

I can't believe this is the last pink Saturday link up over at the Rainbow Challenge! I love pink, and haven't even made a dent in the pink scraps! Oh well, pink month will come around again next year!
Where did this month go?!?
made a few more 6" crumb blocks for my collection.
Do you need inspiration to make some crumb blocks (and to NOT throw out your little scraps?!?)... hop over to Jane's blog and see the three quilts she made all from crumb blocks - so beautiful! I dare you to go see her quilts and then try to resist sewing up a block or two right away! 


I also worked on my leader/ender project and cut more pink scraps for some tiny Alamo stars. Organization is the key to a leader/ender project. If I have blocks cut, I sew them up, and if I don't have anything cut, I use a scrap to start and stop my lines of stitching, and that just wastes thread and accomplishes nothing. 


Well, I guess it does result in a collection of "hairy guys"!
But what good are these things?!?
Why would a sane person even keep them?!?

When I have the 17 pieces cut for a star block, I put a little Clover clip on them so they all stay together. And then I put them in the leader/ender storage box I received from Julie 3 years ago. It keeps everything for this project in the same place...strips to cut, prepared block pieces, and finished blocks.

These are the two pink star blocks I stitched this week...love 'em!

Hop over to SoScrappy and see the other pink scrap projects being sewn.


21 comments:

scraphappy said...

Love your pink crumbs. I really don't see how so many people throw out their crumbs. Look at what a nice collection they make when all sewn together. Looks like your star blocks are all organized and ready to feed through. Great pink collection this month.

Kate said...

Beautiful blocks all of them, but I really like your little star blocks. They are so cute!

Cathy said...

I grew up with grandmas quilts and, for me, it was all about looking at all the different fabrics in the quilt which were usually old clothes.

So, I think crumb quilts are usually always gorgeous because there seems to always be something new and fun to find each time you study the quilt.

It's also always a source of wonder as to how a tiny scrap can be built upon and end up in a large quilt.

So, you know I like your crumb blocks and don't need inspiration!

You are also correct about being organized for leader ender projects- I never am but have lots of ideas! (Maybe when I retire) Love your stars.

Ellen said...

Crumbs blocks are always a favourite for me. Such tiny pieces all put together can make such wonderful quilts.

The box for the leader/ender organization is great. I need to make something like it.

sara said...

Beautiful your crumbs blocks..

Jennie said...

I love the pink crumbs - you seem to be very organized! And those last blocks are very cute!

Jennie said...

I love the pink crumbs - you seem to be very organized! And those last blocks are very cute!

Janet O. said...

I hopped over to see the crumb quilts--they are amazing, but I can easily resist. I tried crumb piecing a few years ago in a class and I must say, I didn't catch on easily. I have had people ask me how I can not do crumbs and I just shrug and reply that I just come by my lack of ability very naturally. : )
Your little star blocks are so darn cute. I have the foundation pattern and every time I see yours I think I need to actually try it.
That leader/ender box is great!

make.share.give said...

What a busy week! I love your idea of clipping the stacks together.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Such pretty pink blocks! I've never done crumbs but Jane's quilt is pretty amazing... I keep everything so maybe one day when I run out of strings!

Sheila said...

This is a great post. I keep my crumbs, but do little to nothing with them. They are accumulating! Maybe I need to put them in a box and randomly sew them together as a leader/ender scrappy project.

Pattilou said...

I love your organization and your little blocks. I'm a big fan of crumb blocks. It's always fun to see how one can "make" fabric from scraps!

Deb A said...

LOVE your pink little star blocks. Having things ready to sew is the key. I have 2 inch squares in a basket under the sewing table for my leader/ender. Amazing how many get done when you don't even think about it.

Sarah said...

Im not entirely sure what a crumb block is but I love what you've done and also jumped over to your friends blog and looked at her three quilts and they all look amazing.

Edith said...

Your crumbs are beautiful and I haven't put a dent in my pink scraps either.

Anonymous said...

I love both your pink crumbs and the stars - gorgeous colours. I love Leaders & Enders too.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Love your crumb blocks and also the stars, they make a great leaders & enders project!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I love the hot pink blocks! Nice and bright to blow away the January blues :o)

Elly D said...

Love your pink blocks Kathy! I too have enjoyed playing with pink and still have a lot of pink scraps left. Now dare I go take a looky at Jane's blog, LOL..

Teresa in Music City said...

Just loving your little Alamo blocks Kathy! And your string blocks are so sparkly and happy :*) I know what you mean about having to prepare for leader/ender projects. I have a little baggie that goes everywhere with me with pieces for my leader/ender. I always feel very virtuous & thrifty when I pull it out and sew them up - my grandmother would be very proud of me!

Cathy Tomm said...

Great to see all you pink. love the crumbs. I see a few fabrics I have in your.