Sunday, October 01, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to October at Slow Sunday Stitching here at Kathy's Quilts! Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee (or maybe a pumpkin spice latte) and join us to celebrate the experience of slowly stitching your way through life!


I have a finished stitchery to share this week. This is the beginning kit that I ordered from Cobweb Corner to make the Strawberry Faire project. This was a big deal on flosstube and Helen D did a stitch-a-long (SAL) for this pattern last winter. 


And here is the finished piece!


Finished size: 6.25" x 4.25"

It is stitched on a 14 count piece of old aida cloth that I tea dyed. I love it so much! I loved stitching the bird and completed it first in August. Although the strawberry was intense stitching (I would call it "full coverage") I really love how it turned out! So now I don't know what to do with this. Should I make it into a mini quilt, or a stuffed pillow, or a framed stitchery? You can see Helen D's finish on this flosstube episode at about the 3 minute mark.

There are similar patterns from October House Fibre Arts called Honey Faire which is a bee hive, and a new pattern called Pumpkin Faire was just released. Anyway, I am done with Strawberry Faire, so if you would like to be in a draw to win my gently used pattern, please let me know in the comments today and I'll draw the winner's name next Sunday.

I also finished a knitted washcloth for a new great nephew coming at Christmas. This cloth has a seed stitch heart pattern and was knitted with 100 % cotton Sudz yarn. Many young people prefer gender neutral colours these days so I made a grey cloth. I would like to knit a yellow one next

My new start for October will be a freebie from Blue Ribbon Designs called Acorns and Owls. (Click on "charts, patterns, designs" and when the drop down menu appears, click on "free charts") But first I will try to finish the squirrel sampler I showed last week.

What are you creating by hand this week? 

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Your lovely bird and strawberry piece is beautiful, well done. And I love all your wash cloths that you knit!

CathieJ said...

Strawberry Faire is so pretty. I would love to be included in the giveaway for the pattern. I look forward to seeing your progress on Acorns and Owls. Thanks for all the great links. That washcloth pattern is very pretty. I agree that many new parents are trending toward very neutral colors. I am often wonder if my pastel or colorful gifts get used.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Strawberry Faire is so pretty, Kathy! The stitching that forms the strawberry is a really neat design. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

my work today will be hexies and knitting and pressing fabric in between

Brenda mb said...

Strawberry faire is so pretty,I would very much like to be in the draw.

Karrin Hurd said...

Great finish on Strawberry Faire! Love the washcloth. Hope you have a great Sunday Stitching

Deanna W said...

That little stitchery is so cute...but I think I like the squirrel from a few post ago, much better. Looking forward to our weekend that is coming up. Good luck next weekend with everything!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Sunday , Kathy. Your Strawberry Faire looks amazing. Congratulations on your new finish. Your dishcloth is gorgeous too- almost too pretty to use. Have a wonderful day. Hugs.

Carol C. said...

I love how your Strawberry Faire turned out.. Beautiful!! I like finishing my small cross stitch projects into little pillows; I have a bowl I put them in. I would like to be icluded in the drawing. It is so fun to see your "Fall" heading stitchery again!! Happy fall!

ThreadCatcher said...

Your Strawberry Faire project turned out so pretty! I would finish it as a small pillow for decorating. Please add me to your drawing, I think it would be a fun stitch.