Saturday, September 30, 2023

A Finished Quilt Top

A big party is happening here (in my mind!) 

Chilhowie is a finished quilt top!


The photo has a stained glass quality because it was taken at sunset. It doesn't look that luminous in real life.

This was the Quiltville mystery project in 2022 and my version is totally made from scraps. Not a single fabric was purchased to create this quilt top. 

These were my scrap categories:

Light (for white/neutral)
Medium light (for aqua)
Medium dark (for orange)
Dark (for purple)

I love the challenge of trying to create something beautiful from scraps, which are either quilter's garbage, or quilter's treasures depending on who you ask! 

It's amazing to me to look at this creation and remember that I made decisions each clue about which scraps to sew without knowing what the final design would be. Such a crazy quilty adventure! I can't wait for the next one to start in November (fabric requirements are posted on Halloween).

Linking up my finish to One Monthly Goal - thank you to Patty for hosting this linky party for 93 months! My quilting journey has been helped with the motivation to complete a monthly goal!

15 comments:

berylthepearl said...

This is really lovely! Glad you finished it before the next mystery

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Way to go, Kathy - your Chilhowie is gorgeous! I really like the way you used light, medium, and dark to determine which scraps would work in which sections. It has a very cohesive look. Beautiful!

Jenny said...

Well done, there is nothing that makes a quilter more happy than a finished quilt TOP!
I remember you having a little problem or two as you were finishing this off, it all came right in the end.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The quilt top turned out great! That is one of Bonnie's better Mysteries.

Anne-Marie said...

Lovely Chilhowie!

Paula said...

This is a great quilt! I'm so glad you chose the inner border that finished the squares in a way that shows them clearly. Thank you for sharing your journey. So many of us go through similar situations and by sharing , you help us see we aren't alone.

The Cozy Quilter said...

Gorgeous Kathy. Yours is unique with the way you used the light to dark scraps you used.

Chantal said...

Congrats, Kathy, once for a great quilt at the flimsy stage, and again for accomplishing your goal. The borders look great! ;^)

nestki said...

This was a huge success. Now Chilhowie is my favorite Quiltville quilt. I love how it sparkles and shimmers, and I don't think it's just because of the light.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Beautiful job, Kathy. You knew you would meet your goal. I look forward to seeing your the next mystery and what color fabrics you use. Happy quilting.

Karrin Hurd said...

Chilhowie is beautiful! Great work!

Carol C. said...

I love the border you chose! Beautiful! And so nice to have it completed before the next mystery starts!

Nann said...

It turned out beautifully, Kathy! Congratulations!

ChristineHelen said...

It's absolutely beautiful. Love the border you are so creative with your scraps

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

A huge party!!! Happy Dancing for this amazing finish!!!!