Monday, October 23, 2023

Design Wall Monday

Finally I am posting a design wall blog post on a Monday! 


I received a bag of blocks from my friend Dorothy who is moving and decluttering. She was done with this project and tired of her scraps (we all know how that goes!) and I accepted the challenge to make them into something.


I put them on my design wall to see what I had to work with. She had some partially constructed blocks in the bag so the first thing I did was finish those. Then I decided to add a white sashing to separate the blocks a bit. 


Because about half of the blocks had blue borders, I decided to make 4 blue rows, and the other rows would be the remaining colours which were red, pink, purple green and black. (Yes, there is a dinosaur on the right hand side of the second row - quilting studios are wild places sometimes!)

And here is the quilt top so far on the design floor.

I think it needs another white border on both sides and then maybe another scrappy squares border on top and bottom? It's still a work in progress. 


Linking up to Design Wall Monday at Judy's




7 comments:

Sara said...

It's amazing how those blocks all came together so well. Great job!!

searsportquilter said...

The offset rows really make it work!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Isn't that pretty?! I like how you organized the blocks into rows and the white sashing that offsets them. I bet your friend Dorothy will be amazed at what you did with her blocks!

Janet O. said...

That is a fun scrap creation. I think your border plans sound good.

Kate said...

The white sashing really lets those scrappy blocks shine. You made pretty quick work of that bag of leftovers.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

These blocks were a fabulous gift from Dorothy and I adore how you have arranged them. The white sashing makes them pop. Enjoy working on this beauty.

The Joyful Quilter said...

An excellent way to tame some scraps and make use of those Orphan Blocks, Kathy!! Kudos for taking on that challenge.