Sunday, September 24, 2023

Slow Sunday Stitching


Welcome to the weekly hand stitching party in this little corner of the internet! This has been a weekly post on my blog for over 9 years now. Stitchers have come and gone, and I have enjoyed seeing all of the amazing projects created over the years, following their interests, some short term infatuations, and some long term loves. What a treat - thank you for reading and for posting your projects, and encouraging others in the comments!

And what have I been up to this week?

I finished the binding on another comfort quilt. I love being part of a group project like this where one person sews the blocks (Jacoba) and one person does the machine quilting (Sharon) and I finish the quilt with adding the label and binding. 



This is how the finished quilt looked hanging on my clothesline. Such a terrific quilt made from scraps! I really enjoyed visiting with the scraps as I stitched on by, and saying "I had a piece of that" or "I wish I had a piece of that"!


I also became obsessed with that darn *squirrel*!

He's just so cute and I couldn't put him away. 

I decided to make each letter in the sampler a different colour of floss and really enjoyed the process of routing around in the stash to find fall colour floss. The bright yellows on the left got voted off the project. I stitched a letter in one of the bright goldy yellows and it just wanted to be the star of the show, which made the squirrel jealous!


I picked the colours for a few letters at a time, decided on the order and got to stitching.



I was thinking about how sometimes you just really need an easy project with a prepared kit that requires no thinking. 

And sometimes you want a project that you can create from scratch and make all the decisions as you go along. Both experiences are wonderful and have a purpose in our stitching lives! (Oh...and also I was avoiding the dreaded Chilhowie decisions!)

That's my hand stitching summary for this week. What are the projects being created by your hands?

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

Your squirrel is very cute! Happy stitching!

Jenny said...

I really appreciate you hosting this Linky party each week. Its always so exciting to see what everyone has been stitching, knitting, or whatever handwork they have been involved in.

Kate said...

Your fall squirrel sampler is really cute, love all those fall colors. Happy stitching this week.

linda said...

Wow nine years is a long time thank you for hosting such a lovely party I love looking at everyone's makes. I think your quilt is beautiful and your choice of different Autumn colours for the writing on your cross stitch is a great idea.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful comfort quilt, Kathy, and such a nice to make it with friends! I love your mini squirrel sampler, too. What a great idea to make each letter a different color - I love how that looks! Enjoy your Sunday Stitching today!

Angela said...

Oh, I love a scrap quilt! So pretty.

Karla (ThreadBndr) said...

Your little squirrel is darling. And so close to being done!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Nine years! Wow, Kathy! Thank you so much for all the hard work and dedication that you put into your lovely blog and for being such an inspiration . And I am grateful that you host the link party as well.. You have brought so many quilters together and dare I say led many like myself down some rabbit holes.Lol I am so grateful that I found your blog. You certainly keep me motivated. Oh, your Mini Squirrel Sampler is gorgeous. I just love that you used different colors for the letters- so cute and clever. Thank you for stitching the little guy. Happy Fall.

Karrin Hurd said...

I love that squirrel. I am glad I took some easy, no thinking projects to the retreat I just got back from. Because the harder ones were starting to give me trouble. I especially needed my design floor so I could see what I was doing with Ella Maria Deacon quilt.

Linda C said...

Regarding the infamous "Chilhowie" question...just close you eyes and picture it finished, then follow through! Like it or not, you can always give it away and the person receiving it will love it!

CathieJ said...

Your squirrel is adorable. I love the floss colors you have chosen for the alphabet. Can you tell me how you print your label. It is one thing I really struggle with for my quilts. Enjoy your stitching.

Jayne Honnold said...

Happy 9 years anniversary! I have so enjoyed being an occasional attendee at these parties! Love that squirrel!