Sunday, August 19, 2018

Slow Sunday Stitching

Welcome to the weekly hand stitching celebration! If you enjoy creating hand made projects with needles and threads, you have come to the right place!


Last week I visited a cottage with some friends and enjoyed one of those perfect summer days. It was not too hot or humid, with a clear blue sky and a soft breeze... perfect slow stitching weather! This is the chair I was sitting in, enjoying the beautiful summer day, chatting with friends, and hand quilting another Life is Beautiful block. Isn't it fun how the red in the quilt block matched the chair and the flowers!?! It was such a great weekend... except for the terrible case of poison ivy I came down with the next day. I have no explanation for how that happened!


tabletopper made of 100 yoyos

In the middle of the kitchen table at the cottage, was a beautiful scrappy yoyo tabletopper.
I tried to conjure up ideas of who this hand stitcher might have been, who was it that cut these circles from lovely fabrics and made them into this sweet project. The fabrics  seem to be from the 1930's and 1940's, but are they reproductions or originals? I wondered which scraps were her favourites?  And I wondered why did she add the organized 2 colour solid yoyos around the outside edge when the inside was random scrappy? So much to ponder! 

Of course I had to turn it over and look at the back to see how it was made. Look at the size of the joining stitches! And the thread that was used was very thick with lots of big knots. 
There were a couple of places where the threads joining the yoyos had let go. I wondered whether I should go ahead and repair it, since I had the thread, the tools and the interest? 
But it wasn't mine to alter, so in the end I decided to leave it as it was, and hope it will still last for years to come. 


I went back to my own stitching project, enjoying my random thoughts about the maker and the project. Later I said to my friends "Isn't that tabletopper on kitchen table so lovely"?  They responded with variations of "What tabletopper?" and "I didn't notice anything on the table." 
These people are not my stitching tribe!
YOU are my tribe! 

What are you hand stitching today? Please share your creative projects with us and add your blog post or instagram photo link below. 

   

    An InLinkz Link-up
   

22 comments:

Birthe Marie said...

Great to sit outdoors with a handcraft. It was a nice yoyo canvas, and interesting to read about your thoughts and friends' reaction to the yoyo tabletopper, and what the eyes see and what one's interest in. :-)

The Cozy Quilter said...

I always notice the handmade items when I go somewhere new too. Often, there is a story behind the piece...it’s funny that your friends did not even notice the yo-yo topper. I think I would have fixed it, with permission, of course!

CathieJ said...

That table topper is so pretty. I notice handmade items where-ever I am. My family usually does also. Sometimes they point things out to me so that I won't miss them. As if. Most of my friends on the other hand aren't crafty and don't understand my obsession. They would never notice a hand-made item. Your Life is Beautiful block is really pretty.

Lyndsey said...

I love stitching outside and I love your thoughts on the table topper. When I find bits like that I find myself weaving stories about them.

Kate said...

Hope the poison ivy is doing much better and you are at least past the itchy stage. It's a lovely place to sit and stitch. Enjoy the rest of the weekend and enjoy your slow stitching today.

Sarah said...

Your sewing perch looks perfect! I visit a lot of National Trust properties in the UK and can zoom in on a quilt or embroidery from thirty paces! Funny how your friends missed it totally!

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I've been working on binding placemats and quilts, still in a frenzy with labels too! I have just two weeks left to complete two projects in time for the fair.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love being part of the "tribe"!! hope your poison ivy is better. Love that red chair matching your piece that you had with you. I always love looking for old pieces to look at.

Denise :) said...

I adore yo-yo pieces; what a fun find! They look like pretty good sized yo-yos, too. The back made me laugh! Hope your poison ivy is gone soon -- that's icky stuff! :)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Thanks for hosting this link-up every week! I don't always have a post to share but I really enjoy reading everyone else's!

Julierose said...

I am so drawn to yo-yo-tops; my Aunt Agnes made two twin bed yo-yo quilts and used them in the Summer as decorations when she took off the heavy Winter spreads...the blanket colors showed through--very pretty.
I have a little basket of tiny yo-yos started--hmmm, now I have to get those out and play with them...should I thank you--or not hahaha ;-000
(Company today, so no slow stitching--well, perhaps tonight...) hugs, Julierose

stitchingirlblog.wordpress.com said...

I had to laugh about the matching of colors to your surrounding, your block truly does match your surroundings! I am always noticing the colors around me and how they all work together. Even when we go camping, and I'm knitting, I look around at the colors and the beauty. I love that little yo-yo table topper!

Deb said...

Your block is coming along nicely, Love the Yoyo piece, I would say the are all original to the period as I have several of the same fabrics in some quilted pieces from the 30's and 40's. I love coming across handmade items from days gone by and often think when it was made and who made it. The large stitches reminded me of a piece I came across at a local museum which stated was made by a child it was a yoyo doll blanket.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

LOL! RIght Like who wouldn't notice that adorable center piece...they truly aren't your tribe....but it looks like you had some wonderful stitching time.

Louise said...

How could your friends not notice that amazing yo-yo piece?! I've got my husband noticing quilts now, and pointing them out to me :)

Dresden Quilter said...

I am so happy to be a part of your tribe. The yo-yos are amazing. I have yet to tackle something like that.

Robin said...

Deb and I are thinking alike. when you sid large stitches and knots I immediately thought a child must hav made it. which, makes it rather precious. My daughter, at age 37, still has her first quilt that she made when she was 12. She wanted to put it on her bed as soon as it was finished but I encouraged her to hang it or use as a table cover. It's so sweet with all her big stitches and loose seams.

Sandy said...

The day got past me and I realized I never made it over to add my link. I linked up with you..I keep you badge in the sidebar. Geesh...So perhaps I'll get to do some visiting with the other ladies tomorrow. Had to laugh when you said they aren't your tribe, lol. How could they not notice something so unique on the table? Your wkend sounds wonderful. Loved the square and chair matching.
Sandy's Space

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Yes, we are the ones who would have noticed that yoyo topper, even if it had been covered by several different items.

jean f. said...

When I took a friend to a quilt show we didn't see much wild fire smoke, but she was effected by the poison ivy that was going up in flames miles away! It wasn't as mile a wild fire season as it is now. Luckily for you the sky was blue where you are, not like here in WA State today. It is terrible here! LOVE the little table topper, I'm guessing that it IS 1930's fabrics and that the item is that old, perhaps made by someone who was learning the skills?

jean f. said...

By the way, what is that green vine hanging over the chair? Is THAT poison ivy?

Miaismine said...

I loved reading your ponderings about the yo-yo table topper! I wonder the same things when I go to quilt shows! Once, after admiring an obviously vintage quilt, the quilter's daughter was sitting close by and shared the story behind the quilt! What a blessing! Thank you for sharing your thoughts!