Monday, August 13, 2018

Blockheads II on the Design Wall

Block #6

I am almost caught up with the Blockheads II blocks. This is a 12" block called "Path Through the Woods". The pattern is by designer Betsy Chutchian and can be found here. It was one of the most challenging blocks I've sewn for a while with lots of bias seams. A couple of triangle points are missing, but that's okay because it came out to the perfect size, so I'm quite tickled about that!


Block #7

This is block #7
called Spin Cycle.  It is a 6" block by designer Stacy Iest Hsu. Stacy is using very happy colours for her blocks - you can see them on her blog here

I am now a few blocks behind. I am redrafting the enormous 24" block called "Impact" to be half that size. And I'm figuring out how to make a pieced pineapple to replace block #8 which is an appliqued pineapple.

Here are all my blocks on the design wall. I am feeling much happier now with my fabric choices for these blocks. I didn't really like how the contrast worked out for my first block, but I'm okay with it now when I see them all on the design wall. 
To see more design wall postings, hop over to Small Quilts.


And if you want inspiration overwhelm, visit the Blockheads Facebook group. You don't need a facebook account to be able to scroll through the photos, but be prepared to kiss your sewing time goodbye, because there is so much to see!

14 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your Blockhead 2 blocks look great together! I have been saving the pattern but haven't made any of them yet--need to finish last year's Blockheads blocks first. FYI--Corey Yoder shared a pattern for a pieced version of the pineapple block: http://corianderquilts.com/2018/07/blockheads-block-8/

Gretchen Weaver said...

I was going to say I saw a pieced pineapple block somewhere but Julie knew exactly where it was. I enjoy applique but I would probably piece the block too, so much faster! Block #6 is very pretty.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love Betsy C. designs and I really like the one with all the little half square triangles

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great blocks! And it does look very complicated!

Mary said...

Lost points? Where?? I didn't see them... Fun to play catch up.

Judy D in WA said...

Your blocks look great. I'm still in the pattern collecting phase. :)

Needled Mom said...

I love your fabric choices and the blocks look great.

Nann said...

I like your Blockheads blocks! I haven't committed to BH2 but you're tempting me.

Joanne said...

Your blocks are beautiful - lovely fabric!

Kate said...

Another fun project up on the design wall. Hope you can find some time to get all caught up.

Anne-Mettes Oaser said...

I love the colors, you have picked for your blocks. I am so tempted to start making those lovely blocks too.

Marie said...

Your blocks are looking great - love Spin Cycle.

Pam said...

Corey Yoder has a pattern on her blog for a pieced pineapple block to substitute. Save your brain for other challenges! http://corianderquilts.com/2018/07/blockheads-block-8/

Deanna W said...

Path through the woods...what a beautiful block. I could see a quilt made up of only those blocks.Good luck with the math on the other one!